VRay fails to use DR slaves on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay fails to use DR slaves on Linux

When rendering a scene with DR enabled using the "Render" command on Linux it fails to use any nodes. I have both manually specified the nodes in the text files (2x *.tmp in /home/<user>/maya) and as a -preRender MEL but nothing works. Rendering the same scene on a OSX box with proper *.tmp files and with the -preRender both works a supposed, it even uses the same linux DR slaves I tried to use when starting the render on linux.

The thing is that we need to be flexible with which computer is the master as we have a mixed OSX and Linux environment.

Any suggestions what might be missing here?

Regards,
    Max

As a test, does it work if you specify the render nodes in the distributed rendering settings inside Maya?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Nope, and as I think I have figured out, all that does is write to the local .tmp files, which will not affect the Linux node actually starting the render. In a way I tried to add the slave on the Linux node via a preRender MEL calling the same functions you call from the render globals window. I like hacking a bit.

Comment

Ok then. Does it work from V-Ray Standalone?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Will give it a try tomorrow!

Comment

I tried using VRay standalone on Linux, no success. This is the output:

Code:
            [2011/Sep/13|12:41:53] dr host: 192.168.27.2
            [2011/Sep/13|12:41:53] warning: Could not connect to host 192.168.27.2: Unknown error
            [2011/Sep/13|12:41:53] Using 0 hosts for distributed rendering.
            For input I used this:
            Code:
            /usr/autodesk/maya2012-x64/vray/bin/vray -scenefile=test.vrscene -distributed=1 -renderhost=192.168.27.2
            I get the same result when running VRay standalone on my OSX workstation but the strange thing is that I can connect to the same DR host from within Maya, so I assume that it's no firewall blocking. My workstation IP is 192.168.26.3, but I doubt that matters...
            Last edited by max@mfx; 13-09-2011, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Some tests:
              1. Can you ping: execute "ping 192.168.27.2"?
              If you get no ping you have network config problems.

2. Install nmap and execute "nmap -p 20207 192.168.27.2".
              The result should mention if the port is opened or closed.
              If it is closed/filtered check if you've started the vray standalone in server mode (-server)
              or check your firewall/selinux/apparmor settings.

BTW: Have you tried to use -portNumber=20207 (or the port used on the server)?
              V-Ray developer

Comment

Specifying the port number when starting via standalone did it! But I still get no DR when starting via Maya Render...

Two suggestions for fixing this "soft-bug":
                1. Make the default port numbers match up on all architectures and use cases. It seems at least to be set to 20207 on OSX both in Maya and as standalone bot not on Linux.
                2. Print out the port number that VRay tries to use when connecting to the DR slaves (currently only the slave prints out the port number it listens at). Will be good for future network debugging.

I Still needs to get Maya Render on Linux to use DR though...

I tried this which do add the correct data in the server_list.tmp and server_status.tmp in my home folder, but doesn't use the DR slave:
                Code:
                /usr/autodesk/maya2012-x64/bin/Render -proj /projects/MFX/MFX092/
                Shots/Flash -rd /projects/MFX/MFX092/Shots/Flash/images/test -s 1 -e 1 -b 1 -preRender 'string $serverList[]=vrayReadSe
                rvers(); string $serverStatusList[]=vrayReadServersStatus(); $serverList[size($serverList)]="192.168.27.1:20207"; $serv
                erStatusList[size($serverStatusList)]="Enable";   vraySaveServersInfo($serverList, $serverStatusList);setAttr "vraySett
                ings.sys_distributed_rendering_on" 1;' -r vray /projects/MFX/MFX092/Shots/Flash/scenes/test.mb
                I also tried this (after checking the server_list.tmp and server_status.tmp for correct data), which also fails to use the DR slave:
                Code:
                /usr/autodesk/maya2012-x64/bin/Render -proj /projects/MFX/MFX092/
                Shots/Flash -rd /projects/MFX/MFX092/Shots/Flash/images/test -s 1 -e 1 -b 1 -preRender 'setAttr "vraySettings.sys_distr
                ibuted_rendering_on" 1;' -r vray /projects/MFX/MFX092/Shots/Flash/scenes/test.mb
                My -preRender command just ensures that the distributed flag is on. This is also the most likely way I will use it when it works, having scenes with DR off and then submitting them on our renderfarm and switching on DR and setting which slaves to use. We do a lot of still images, that's why I need it soo badly.

Best Regards,
                Max
                Last edited by max@mfx; 14-09-2011, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by max@mfx View Post
                  2. Print out the port number that VRay tries to use when connecting to the DR slaves (currently only the slave prints out the port number it listens at). Will be good for future network debugging.
                  OK, I've implemented this.

Will do some tests on the default value...
                  V-Ray developer

Comment

Working...
                  X