White specs and other artefacts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White specs and other artefacts.

Something I'm trying to work out at the moment.

I'm getting some white dots in the reflections, not specular (using elements), sub pixel mapping is on, clamping is on (tried from 2.5 - 5), and the HDR has a clamp node on the file itself (just set it to 5 for now).
    I've used the same HDR with other shots and haven't had this issue, and of course I'm searching through the forums for other solutions as well.

The material it's affecting is a shiny, reflective plastic, with it's reflection glossiness at 0.990, I've tried high reflection subdivs, max depth, reflect of back side, fix dark edge etc as well.
    When the images were playing back, it almost looked like the objects had little dents in them, and the highlights were just pining off from them (obviously the object is smooth with no dents/bumps).

I've also tested the subdivs on the light dome as well, going from 8-128 you can still see them.

I think for now, to save my sanity and patience I'm just going to use some vray rec lights to re-create the set up for now.

edit:
    hmm - just turned off the dome light, and it's apparent on the vray rec light as well.
    Must be the material itself.

edit 2:
    Ah, something to do with the model & the geo smoothing actually.
    bugger.
    Last edited by RobPhoboS; 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM.

Right, for me it's a combo of the HDR and the subdivisions on the model, previously it was just on the maya smooth but now I've switched it to vrays.
    I'm a bit confused about 'view dependent' & the edge length and the relationship between each other.

When I turn off view dependent, combined with removing the HDR, it appears as though my issue is resolved.... BUT I'd like to know if turning off 'view dependent' is a bad idea ?
    Should I leave it on, does edge length work with it checked on or off ? (I couldn't make sense of the article on spot3d).

Comment

i have a similar issue but mines is with refraction, really annoying ive tried almost everything to figure it out and still cant get ride of those artifacts
      PLAY
      www.kriscabrera.com
      kris@kriscabrera.com

Comment

Yeah my one was 100% due to the view dependent option, so I removed it and lowered it until it looked right.

Perhaps you could post some screen shots ?

Comment

Can you send us а simplified scene illustrating the problem so we could take a look to support@chaosgroup.com
          Please also let us know the name of the exact V-Ray build used, Maya version and OS type.

Best Regards,
          Marta Kruneva
          ChaosGroup Technical Support Representative
          Technical Support
          Chaos Group

Comment

Hi Marta,

If you can bare with me for a day or so, some maintenance going on here.

Comment

Working...
            X