Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escaping render causes DR slave crash

Hello,
    I find I have to switch to all my render slaves and restart them after crashes numerous times every day now. The cause seems to be VFB and pressing ESC to abort a render test (usually region tests at the moment). Will try and narrow it down when less stressed (deadline looming, thought I'd type this rather than escape another test). Is this a known issue ?

Also Maya occasionally crashes completely (host machine) after escaping a render early.

I noticed the same, mostly when, while the renderjob is still running, I click anywhere in the viewport and press then esc. but for me it's not the slave crashing, it's the main machine. That crash is always combined with the known "rendering is not reentrant" message. My workaround for this is first to click on the title bar of maya, then hitting esc and WAIT until the render has completely stopped. If you click anywhere in the viewport earlier you can expect the next crash. also.. happens just with vfb on
    best regards,
    sacha

Comment

Which V-Ray for Maya version are you using?
      Best regards,
      Zdravko Keremidchiev
      Technical Support Representative

Comment

That particular render set was the nightly build 31Oct ( 21501 ) had tried backtracking as well. Will try later again later today with a more recent build.
        It's been an ongoing problem for quite a while though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zdravko View Post
          Which V-Ray for Maya version are you using?
          For me it happens with the latest stable. I tried many of the nightlies after 08/19 but there is an issue with the gi for me. it takes soooo much longer to get the pre passes rendered, that I always decided stop the rendering after half an hour (1% of the pre pass, which takes about 5 min completely to render with the stable) to roll back to the latest stable, until the next stable will be out.
          best regards,
          sacha

Comment

Originally posted by Aquazum View Post
            it takes soooo much longer to get the pre passes rendered, that I always decided stop the rendering after half an hour (1% of the pre pass, which takes about 5 min completely to render with the stable) to roll back to the latest stable, until the next stable will be out.
            It would be best if you can get us a scene for this; we won't fix it if we don't know what is the problem.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              It would be best if you can get us a scene for this; we won't fix it if we don't know what is the problem.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Ok, I cutted the scene down to a very small part of it. But also with this scenepart you're able to see, what I'm talking about. I appended two pics.. one with the latest stable and one with the latest nightly. I'll send you the scene via email.. it goes to support@chaosgroup.com?

Click image for larger version

Name:	stable.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	844666Click image for larger version

Name:	nightly.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	844667

take a look at the render times!!
              best regards,
              sacha

Comment

You can send it to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com, thanks!

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  You can send it to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com, thanks!

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I sent it right away!

edit: did you get it?

edit2: seems to be related to the gi settings I'm using (adapted from the max settings of peter guthrie). I haven't found the bad boy yet but if I set everything to default and start to rebuild my rendersettings it goes faster. Didn't find the time to test it out completely and also the slave crashes many times with the latest nightly and that scene. maybe I'll have time this evening to dig a little deeper.
                  Last edited by Sacha; 16-11-2011, 04:17 AM.
                  best regards,
                  sacha

Comment

Working...
                  X