setting vray asset path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting vray asset path

Hi. Got a problem when rendering on our farm wich is mixed, windows and mac os.

All textures work as they should but when using ies lightinh the macs seems to loose the ies file.

I have placed this light in the same directory as the texture just to see if that would solve the problem. it didnt.
    I read somewhere that i can enter extra paths in the vray envornments but i cant find where to enter it.

Anyone got a solution to this? probably a user error from me but cant really figure it out.

I belive that ptex files has the same issue. As relative path inside a project are not found.

Comment

You can set the VRAY_ASSETS path environment variable before running the V-Ray renderer. One of the easiest way is to write a small shell script that sets the variable, and then calls vray or the Maya render command.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

ok i understand, thou not all of it.

in the help document it says :
        VRAY_ASSETS_PATH - this variable specifies a list of paths where V-Ray will look for textures, GI cache files etc. Initially, V-Ray will attempt to look for an asset in the path specified in the scene. If this fails, V-Ray will go through the paths in the VRAY_ASSETS_PATH variable and try to find a file with the same name. On Windows, paths are separated with semicolon ';' and on Linux and Mac OS X - either a colon ':' or semicolon ';'

what i really need is to find the file where those are set. If im guessing right there is such a file? where is it specified in the scene file? could i open a .ma file and find it there? im in no way a scripter and im just looking for a fast and cheap way to set the variable for this one project.

thanks for the lighting fast replies =)

Comment

You need to check if the IES files use UNC paths and that they are in the same folder as the textures.
          To add an environment variable in MacOSX you need to follow these steps:
          1. Open a terminal window and put the following command:
          export VRAY_ASSETS_PATH=”/path /to the textures/”
          This will persist for the current log on session. If you log off you need to add it again.

2. If you need to set the variable permanently, you need to open and edit V-Ray configuration file “profile” (or “profile.d”) in /etc directory. Just add at the bottom of file this row :
          export VRAY_ASSETS_PATH=”/path /to the textures/”
          This should set this variable each time when you log on.

Comment

thanks! will test first thing on monday morning!

great support here!

Comment

Working...
            X