Vray tiffs won't open in flame...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray tiffs won't open in flame...

Are there any flame users here? Has anyone found that you can't use the tiffs exported by vray in flame? They work in photoshop, they work in after effects but they don't work in flame. When you go to import them it says "Invalid pixel order" or something to that effect. And it isn't as if I had the incorrect tiff settings in vray because the only option is 8, 16 or 32 bits.

When I opened the images in photoshop and exported the tiff with an interleaved pixel order (vs. a per channel pixel order) then it worked fine in flame.

So I had to take all 3000 frames into after effects and re-export them as tiffs.

Anyone know what that's about?

My guess would be that flame does not support the specific TIFF format supported by V-Ray. I could be because we used a newer version of libtiff - it is a rather convoluted format with lots of different possible layouts for the data in it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

It would be awfully nice then to get a box in the image options dialog box to change the way it is saved (as you can in photoshop) because if you can't output tiffs from vray that can be used in flame you don't have many other options. I think then you are down to TGA or EXRs. It would also be a huge help to be able to export cineon files or dpx files as we use those often. Vray should strongly consider adding those options.

Comment

The problem is, we don't have a flame box to test what works and what does not

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes. I concede that flames are not cheap and it might not be easy to test one out. However, I think the easier solution would be to have the tiffs output at interleaved tiffs vs. per-pixel order tiffs. Interleaved tiffs work everywhere I've been told whereas per-pixel-order tiffs have a lower compatibility with other software. It doesn't make sense for me to have to batch convert 3000+ tiffs into 3000+ differently formatted tiffs. Or at very least give the option to change how you want the tiffs saved (interleaved vs. per pixel order) like you can in Photoshop. Just a thought.

Comment

Simple question but : why do you not use another format like exr or tga ?
            www.deex.info

Comment

Well I did and I have. And we are using both of those now since tiffs won't work.

Maya's fcheck doesn't even support EXR's.

Comment

Originally posted by evanerichards View Post

Maya's fcheck doesn't even support EXR's.
                You can open them with imf_disp, which is included in Maya. Or choose a viewer like djv_view.

Comment

Hi there,
                  available in next nightly, a new option has been added to the TIFF output settings (VRay common tab -> Image format options -> TIF options) for saving interleaved tiffs. Since we don't have a flame box to verify it works there, as Vlado wrote above, please test if this works for you and eventually let us know .

Best,
                  Emil
                  V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Will test it out asap!
                    If this works that would be a huge jump forward for people compositing on flames.
                    Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X