VRAY and SHAVE AND HAIRCUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRAY and SHAVE AND HAIRCUT

I wanted to bring up an ongoing issue that we encounter in production with Shave and Haircut and VRAY. More often than not, every time there is an update in Shave and Haircut or in recent case an update to VRAY ( stable build from 3/05) the hair stops showing up in render. We also use Mental Ray and Arnold, and those issues never happen. The question is if there is a way to rethink the hair rendering implementation so it does not rely so much on update of Vray shader from JoeAlter?

Thanks

Vadim
    VFX/CG Supervisor
    Curious Pictures
    Vadim
    VFX/CG Supervisor
    Curious Pictures

The shave plugin was coded rather early and uses a lot of the low-level V-Ray API which tends to break more often. It is possible to use a more stable approach and we are talking to Joe about it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thats great news!

In meantime, I did submit a support request as well, trying to resolve the latest install issue.

Thank you.

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      The shave plugin was coded rather early and uses a lot of the low-level V-Ray API which tends to break more often. It is possible to use a more stable approach and we are talking to Joe about it.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Vadim
      VFX/CG Supervisor
      Curious Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by actor3d View Post
        In meantime, I did submit a support request as well, trying to resolve the latest install issue.
        If you mean the hair not rendering, this happened after a fix to another issue (crash with V-Ray VFB at the end of the render). I'm not entirely sure why the way this was fixed matters to shave&haircut at all, but I'll be looking into it. For the moment I just reverted the VFB fix back for the next build tomorrow.

Also it might be useful to direct all such issues to us rather than Joe; there is little he can do about them.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Almost forgot: if you want to fix this right away, go to the vrayRegisterRenderer.mel file and change the line in the vrayCallRenderer() MEL procedure that says "evalDeferred($cmd);" to just "eval($cmd);"

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado.

I have been talking with Joe as well. I think he is thinking of better solutions for future.
            Vadim
            VFX/CG Supervisor
            Curious Pictures

Comment

It worked! Thanks for the solution. Does this always work?

Almost forgot: if you want to fix this right away, go to the vrayRegisterRenderer.mel file and change the line in the vrayCallRenderer() MEL procedure that says "evalDeferred($cmd);" to just "eval($cmd);"

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Vadim
              VFX/CG Supervisor
              Curious Pictures

Comment

It will fix the issue with this particular build; I have already reverted this change for newer builds.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Great!

Thanks for such a prompt response.
                  Vadim
                  VFX/CG Supervisor
                  Curious Pictures

Comment

If you mean the hair not rendering, this happened after a fix to another issue (crash with V-Ray VFB at the end of the render). I'm not entirely sure why the way this was fixed matters to shave&haircut at all, but I'll be looking into it. For the moment I just reverted the VFB fix back for the next build tomorrow.
                    Do you mean the new builds now work again with Shave, but the bug "crash with V-Ray VFB at the end of the render" is active again ?
                    Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by alainfx View Post
                      ...but the bug "crash with V-Ray VFB at the end of the render" is active again?
                      No, that crash is not back; I removed the functionality of the "Hide render view" checkbox which was the original source of the crash (when you start a render from a pop-up menu in the RenderView, V-Ray tried to hide the render view and the pop-up menu was destroyed, and the crash happened when Maya tried to do stuff with the menu after the render). I'm still waiting to hear from Joe if I can make my original fix work.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Are any of you guys able to render anything with Shave. I have the following setup.

Maya2012 Subscription Advantage Pack
                          Shave and a Haircut: shaveHaircut_Maya2012_0_64-6.0-53.x86_64
                          Vray: 2.20.01

Maya crashes when rendering image. Here is a strace beginning at the render call:

Code:
                          [FONT=fixedsys]V-Ray: Starting render[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:21] V-Ray: Loading plugins from "/usr/autodesk/maya2012-x64/vray/vrayplugins/libvray_*.so"[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: 103 plugin(s) loaded successfully[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Loading plugins from "/yeti/1.0.7/bin/libvray_*.so"[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Loading plugins from "/usr/autodesk/maya2012-x64/vray/vrayplugins/libvray_*.so"[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: 103 plugin(s) loaded successfully[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Finished loading plugins.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Exporting scene to V-Ray.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Parsing light links time  0h  0m  0.0s (0.0 s)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Translating scene geometry for V-Ray[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]SHAVE: Shave and A Haircut for V-Ray (v1.0.12)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]SHAVE: Shave core (6.0v53)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]SHAVE: (c) 2011 Joe Alter Inc.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Total time translating scene for V-Ray  0h  0m  0.0s (0.0 s)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Rendering.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Rendering frames.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]Writing rib to file '/tmp/shave_3d12_6848_844.1.rib' ...[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]
                          [/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]Beginning texture pre-process.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]done with lookups.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]
                          [/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]Done writing rib file.[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 1[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 2[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 3[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 4[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 5[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 6[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]OUTvoxres = 9[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 7[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 8[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exporting archive 9[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]done writing the archive file[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]shaveVrayNode: readDraToParam[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]shaveVrayNode: checksum 50793271 [/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]shaveVrayNode: (debug) extra bytes:  3 [/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]shaveVrayNode: checksum 50793271[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]shaveVrayNode: intsum -737632907[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]shaveVrayNode: readDraToParam - done[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:23] V-Ray: Updating frame at time 1.00[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Total time updating frame  0h  0m  0.1s (0.1 s)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Preparing renderer...[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Preparing scene for rendering...[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Preparing scene for frame...[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Compiling geometry...[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]Found /usr/autodesk/maya2012-x64/vray/vrayplugins/ShaveSh.so (1:0).[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Building static raycast accelerator...[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: SDTree statistics:[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Total number of faces stored: 760[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Max tree depth: 13[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Average tree depth: 8.35461[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Number of tree nodes: 439[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Number of tree faces: 1774[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Number of tree leafs: 141[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Average faces/leaf: 12.5816[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Memory usage: 1.69 MB[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys][2012/Mar/9|12:20:24] V-Ray: Rendering image...[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys])                       = ? ERESTARTNOHAND (To be restarted)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]rt_sigreturn(0x11)                      = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system call)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]wait4(-1, [{WIFSIGNALED(s) && WTERMSIG(s) == SIGSEGV && WCOREDUMP(s)}], WNOHANG, {ru_utime={23, 552419}, ru_stime={3, 592453}, ...}) = 6848[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]wait4(-1, 0x7fff01b01510, WNOHANG, 0x7fff01b01480) = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]ioctl(6, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]write(7, "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"..., 33Segmentation fault (core dumped)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]) = 33[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(6)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(7)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(8)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]fcntl(16, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)          = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]fcntl(17, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)          = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]fcntl(18, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)          = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(0)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(1)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(2)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]alarm(0)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(0)                                = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]dup(19)                                 = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]fcntl(0, F_SETFD, 0)                    = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(1)                                = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]dup(17)                                 = 1[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]fcntl(1, F_SETFD, 0)                    = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(2)                                = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]dup(18)                                 = 2[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]fcntl(2, F_SETFD, 0)                    = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]lseek(16, 0, SEEK_END)                  = 6732[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(16)                               = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(0)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(1)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]close(2)                                = 0[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]read(16, 0x7fff01b01050, 4096)          = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]lseek(16, 0, SEEK_CUR)                  = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]ioctl(16, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS, 0x7fff01b02060) = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)[/FONT]
                          [FONT=fixedsys]exit_group(139)                         = ?[/FONT]

Any help to get this going would be highly appreciated.

Best regards
                          Thomas

Comment

The Linux builds of V-Ray 2.20.01 have an incompatibility with Shave (it's fine on Windows though). You will need a newer "stable_2.1" or nightly build to get it to work. If you don't have access to these, please email us to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Downloaded vray_adv_21001_maya2012_linux_x64_19902 which got rid of the crashes. However the renders don't produce any hair. I get this in the log:

Code:
                              // shaveVrayRenderer: /tmp/ is writable.
                              // Error: shaveVrayNode: 'ownshader' parameter is NULL. // 
                              // Error: shaveVrayNode: 'spectint' parameter is NULL. // 
                              // Error: shaveVrayNode: 'spectint2' parameter is NULL. // 
                              // Error: shaveVrayNode: 'draData' or 'draSize' parameter is NULL. // 
                              // Error: shaveVrayNode: NULL draData parameter //
                              Any hints?

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                              X