Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash : use VRayDirt in displacement

Hi,
    I want to add displacement on edge of a model. For this, i use VRayDirt with "invert normal" on, and in the occluded color, i connect my map.
    The problem : Vray crash.

V-Ray: V-Ray for Maya version 2.25.01, revision 19321 from Feb 13 2012, 07:40:14, linux64, Maya 2011.
    (perhaps now it is fixed on more recent build ? I will test today when i will have the new install at my work)

Thanks.
    www.deex.info

Ok, same problem with the build from today.
    If we can fix this quickly, it will be great.
    Thanks.
    www.deex.info

Comment

This is why the distance tex was implemented I think - the way dirt works means you cant use it for things like displacement.

Comment

I don't know if the VRayDistanceTex do what i want.
        I use VrayDirt with normal invert to get the edge of my object. Can we do this with the VRayDistanceTex ?
        And the VRayDistanceTex is not in Maya..
        Last edited by bigbossfr; 20-03-2012, 03:58 AM.
        www.deex.info

Comment

This would create an impossible dependency, hence does not work. The displacement would alter the dirt which would alter the displacement etc. etc.

Regards,
          Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by bigbossfr View Post
            If we can fix this quickly, it will be great.
            Unfortunately it is not fix-able. (Well, we could fix the crash, but it still won't get you the effect you expect). As Thorsten pointed out, it creates a dependency that cannot be resolved. One solution would be to bake the VRayDirt texture, and then use that as displacement.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yep, i will bake the VRayDirt, this is the solution.
              Just a suggestion/idea : what do you think to add an option in the VRay dirt to bake the map internally before to rendering (like a "prepass") ? (Renderman style heyhey)
              www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by bigbossfr View Post
                Yep, i will bake the VRayDirt, this is the solution. Just a suggestion/idea : what do you think to add an option in the VRay dirt to bake the map internally before to rendering (like a "prepass") ? (Renderman style heyhey)
                For the moment, I'd rather not. It will bring in a whole host of other issues...

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

this smells like the ideal application for baking into PTex!!! Does Vray support that already? This would be even more awesome than baking into vertex colors!!!!

my 2 cents
                  Oli
                  OLIVER MARKOWSKI - Head of 3D at RISE | Visual Effects Studios

Comment

No, we don't have any experience with PTex writing just yet; also, we had to implement texture baking for subdivision surfaces first, before we can think of PTex baking (which would have to be be an entirely separate baking engine).

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Working...
                    X