ply2vrmesh houdini 12 geo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ply2vrmesh houdini 12 geo

Getting errors when running the ply2vrmesh on geo/bgeos from h12. It worked on h11 and converting the geo to ply and then to h11 geo makes it compatible with the application.

terminal output:
    Converting file "/flock/proj/jabb/shottree/mask_on/020/3d/houdini/geo/mask/maskMesh/v003/mask_maskMesh_v003.0053.bgeo"
    Output file is "/flock/proj/jabb/shottree/mask_on/020/3d/houdini/geo/mask/maskMesh/v003/mask_maskMesh_v003.0053.vrmesh" Reading .bgeo file Reading .bgeo file... done
    Format version: 1529544715 error: Error reading file: [readFile] Error reading .bgeo file: Magic number not found Error writing file: [readFile] Error reading .bgeo file: Magic number not found

(tried to upload an example bgeo file but it failed)

btw, I'm using vray_adv_21001_maya2012_linux_x64_20713

Comment

Hi,

Can you send the files (both for h11 and h12) to teodor.petrov @ chaosgroup.com?

Best regards,
      Teodor
      V-Ray developer

Comment

you got it

Comment

No, I've not.
          How large are the files?
          Can you send me simple cubes?
          Do they work fine?

The limit on for mails is around 5mb.
          V-Ray developer

Comment

you're right, they were too big. Sent some boxes instead. Check it out!

Comment

OK,
              They have arrived.
              I'll try to see what is the problem and will let you know when I have a fix for this.

Best regards,
              Teodor
              V-Ray developer

Comment

Hi,

I've taken a look at the files and it seems that the SideFX people has changed the format drastically.
                And unfortunately it will take a bit of time to add support for it.
                I'm logging this issue to our bug tracker, so we won't forget about it and I'll notify you, when we have it fixed.

Until then you'd to use the old format. It seems that it is possible to export files in the old format, isn't it?

/Teodor
                V-Ray developer

Comment

I see. Thanks for the heads up.

It is possible to export h11 compatible geometry, but ply2vrmesh gives me the same error message on these files. My current aproach is now to write out in this format and then pass them through h11 before ply2vrmesh:ing them.

I'll send you a geo box in this format. It would be very useful to get the mesher working on these, being able to work within the same houdini version saves me a lot of pipe issues.

For people interested in how to get geometry from h12->h11, read this thread:
                  http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...light=hclassic

Comment

Originally posted by bhenriksson View Post
                    It is possible to export h11 compatible geometry, but ply2vrmesh gives me the same error message on these files.
                    You need to change their extension to .geo and .bgeo instead of .geo.hclassic and .bgeo.hclassic

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado:You're right. Though I found that it should be .hclassic/.bhclassic for geo/bgeo respectively. And apparently the ".geo" in ".geo.hclassic" doesn't do anything.

As I said to t.petrov, what would be a nice fix until we got a h12 compatible ply2vrmesh:er is to run hclassic/bhclassic files as geo/bgeo.

Comment

bhenriksson:
                        Direct support for .hclassic and .bhclassic will be available in the next nightly build.
                        The two types of files are handled as .geo and .bgeo respectively.

The revision should be >=20810.
                        V-Ray developer

Comment

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
                          The revision should be >=20810.
                          We are running the stable build 22321 and i suppose this hasn't found it's way there yet, did it?

cheers
                          Oliver
                          OLIVER MARKOWSKI - Head of 3D at RISE | Visual Effects Studios

Comment

Not yet. It turned out that it's quite complicated; the new format is based on JSON representation of the data, so we need to either write our own JSON parser (which would take quite some time and could be prone to bugs), or we need to integrate some open source one (and I really dislike working with 3rd party code). So we are still evaluating the options.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Ah, sorry I thought your question was about the new .bgeo format. As far as .bhclassic and .hclassic - these should be supported.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X