Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayMtl2Sided with LightCache

Hello!

Yesterday, i had black shaded objects in my scene with GI, although i used a white VRayMtl.

My rough setup: groundplane with fur, a Mtl2Sided assigned. A reflector post with white VRayMtl (it's beside a country road). VRaySun in about 100 degree angle to the camera.

Rendering with IrradianceCache as primary engine and LightCache as secondary engine.

The effect: the reflector post renders black on the side, which is turned away from the sun. So as any other random object.

The source of the problem (trial and error): if my groundplane has a standard VrayMtl assigned, the post looks fine.

My solution: i used the Mtl2Sided as material for the groundplane but used a standard VRayMtl as GI Material via V-Ray material override attribute.

VRay Version 2.2 with Maya2013

There might be another negative effect of the Mtl2Sided in conjunction with LightCache: increased render times, by a huge amount (inacceptable). This effect appeared in a scene with trees in a smaller distance (a few meters).

Are these known problems?

Thank you!

Is it possible to attach a simple scene about this issues ?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

i set up a simple scene. and realized: it really is the fur in conjunction with the 2SidedMtl! thx for your interest!
      Fur_LightCache.zip from Maya2013!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fur_2Sided_Brute.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	845685Click image for larger version

Name:	Fur_2Sided_LightCache.jpeg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	845686Click image for larger version

Name:	Fur_Standard_LightCache.jpeg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	845687Click image for larger version

Name:	noFur_2Sided_LightCache.jpeg
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	845688
      Renderings from sample-scene. See image-filenames for rough explanation.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer; will fix this, but in the meantime you can use the VRayHairMtl material - it will work correctly and will produce similar results to the 2-sided material.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado for your reply! I now used the VRayMtlHair3 (if you meant that) and got similar results (while using transmission and reducing the GI-amount to .4).
          But now, since i use transmission, my fur appears in the refraction pass, although there is no glass I'm looking through. If i deactivate transmission, the refraction pass looks as it should (no fur).
          Is there a possibility to avoid the appearance in the refraction pass?

I set the transparency to black, Opaque Shadows and Opaque GI is OFF, both Simplify-Options are ON.

Thanks again!
          Janosch

BTW: Hair3 saved me about 1/3 rendertime!

Comment

I guess we'll have to add an option for that.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

That would be really great!
              Thanks a lot!
              Janosch

Comment

I think I may have a similar issue in a very recent nightly with fur and the 2-sided material. I've emailed the support.
                Best Regards,
                Fredrik

Comment

It's the same thing, yes. See my reply in your other thread.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Working...
                  X