Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big texture 30k in exr tiled mipmapped : slowdown x20

Hi,
    I have a texture with a resolution of 30k.
    I have converted the texture into an exr tiled mipmapped with the tool. The size of the texture in ~800mo.

First problem : i must to set the filter of the texture to 0.1 to have my texture not "blurred".
    Second problem is : my render time take 2000%. Original render time (with other textures) : 2 min. With this texture : 34 min.
    It is not the memory (i have free memory in my ram).

Setup is : IM + LC.

What is the solution ?

Thanks.
    www.deex.info

is your dynamic memory limit capping your cpu usage? also, were the original textures 8 bit? as i know that tiled exrs using the vray hdri loader work only in minimum 16 bit (in fact iirc, the vray hrdi loader treats everything as a 32 bit texture?)

id love an option for massive textures that works like tiled exr but will support 8 bit textures since the majority of mine are usually 8 bit, and using tiled exr in this case offers no benefit i can see.

Comment

Like i say, i have free memory. The dynamic memory is setted to 22 go, i have 24 go, when i render, my render use 8-9 giga.

My original texture is 8 bit, yes.

If anyone have the answer...
      www.deex.info

Comment

[2012/Jun/22|15:58:01] V-Ray: Bitmap file "Z:/blabla.exr" loaded.

When Vray load all textures, yes, it looks like it is not multi threaded. The CPU is to 8% (12 cores).
        www.deex.info

Comment

did you try doing custom vray filter on it?

why have such large texture anyway?
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

First problem : i must to set the filter of the texture to 0.1 to have my texture not "blurred".
            This is odd; can you send me an image to vlado@chaosgroup.com (ideally the scene as well, but I don't know how large it is). Is there any chance that texture filtering is disabled for GI (in that case, V-Ray will always load the most detailed level, which would lead to terrible render times)? Also, in the newer builds, there is a texture filtering multiplier for GI, you can try increasing it and see if it helps.

@super gnu: V-Ray actually keeps 16-bit textures as 16-bit since a while now.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,
              I will try the new texture filtering multiplier for GI and say you it is working better.

I will send you the texture with a little scene by FTP. Do not forget to disable the "render swatches" and execute this in mel "renderThumbnailUpdate 0;" to disable the Thumbnail, you will kill your hypershade and Maya
              The texture in a projected by a camera (camera mapping), perhaps a bug here ? Looks like the mipmap doesn't work very well with a projection ?
              Last edited by bigbossfr; 23-06-2012, 10:46 AM.
              www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by bigbossfr View Post
                The texture in a projected by a camera (camera mapping), perhaps a bug here ?
                Oh. You should have started with that Yes, it is possible that there is some filtering issue there.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Hi,
                  Any new about this bug ?

Thanks.
                  www.deex.info

Comment

I found the problem; I hope to be able to commit the fix soon.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

I've seen many a render farm stop on 8k textures. Why 30k?

Comment

Because we need 30k. It is big camera mapping, with a zoom...
                        But 8k or 30k, it is the same problem : filter with a texture mipmapped tiled camera mapped is wrong.
                        Last edited by bigbossfr; 28-06-2012, 02:37 AM.
                        www.deex.info

Comment

Working...
                        X