Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not rendering viewport subdivision correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not rendering viewport subdivision correctly?

When I use viewport subdiv (mode 3) on something like a strip of paper, and I turn on "use viewport subdiv" in the globals, it looks fine in the viewport, but then I render it it rounds out the edges. Is there a way to have it render correctly and show up like it does in the viewport?
    Lead 3D Artist - A52/Elastic

www.ianruhfass.com

Originally posted by X14Halo View Post
    When I use viewport subdiv (mode 3) on something like a strip of paper, and I turn on "use viewport subdiv" in the globals, it looks fine in the viewport, but then I render it it rounds out the edges. Is there a way to have it render correctly and show up like it does in the viewport?
    For the moment, you will have to smooth the mesh manually. Right now V-Ray always subdivides edge boundaries.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      For the moment, you will have to smooth the mesh manually. Right now V-Ray always subdivides edge boundaries.
      Any chance V-Ray's "render viewport subdivision" will actually match Maya's subdivision (aka the '3' key) in the future?

If possible, I think this will be a nice feature, as you can then model something inside of Maya, relying on what you see there, for a long time without test rendering. I just realized this was an issue after having created a rather large landscape made up of different mesh shapes which align perfectly in the viewport but seams are visible in the render.
      Last edited by Fredrik Averpil; 20-02-2013, 06:58 AM. Reason: Typo!
      Best Regards,
      Fredrik

Comment

In newer nightly builds if you reapply the V-Ray subdivision attributes to a mesh, you will get a new option, "Classic Catmull Clark". If you enable it, you will get the same subdivision algorithm as in Maya (minus the creases and weights). This works properly only on meshes composed of quads exclusively.

Note that there is a difference only for relatively low-poly meshes. For higher density meshes, the results between the two subdivisions are practically the same.

V-Ray will still always subdivide the mesh borders though; we need to add an option to preserve them.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Last edited by vlado; 20-02-2013, 10:55 AM.
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Very nice, thank you.
          Best Regards,
          Fredrik

Comment

Working...
          X