Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ptex Displacement from Mudbox

Howdy all,

I've read a bunch of posts here about rendering ptex files from Mudbox, but I haven't seen anyone running into the problem I'm having. I'm doing a test to see how feasible ptex is for production, and I'm running into a subdivision and displacement issue. I've sculpted my head in Mudbox and I've exported the color textures as ptex all fine. They all render correctly out of Maya. I then go and create my displacement map. I'm doing a standard displacement from Mudbox. Everything renders out fine, then I run into a snag. As you can see from my image below, the displacement map isn't displacing correctly. I'm getting 3 problems, although they all could be stemming from a single issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Face_Test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	877207

First off, my displacement isn't accurately moving the mesh into the correct position. Secondly, I'm getting regions of faceting, most visible on the back of the head in the rim light. Thirdly, there seem to be seams of smooth and faced areas, like around the bridge of the nose.

I'm not doing any displacement shift, and I've left all my displacement amount's to 1. It's a 32bit float ptex. My Mudbox settings are:
    Method: subdivision
    Texel Distribution: Use Ptex Setup

Anyone know how to fix this?

Brent Tyler

What were the settings in Mudbox when you exported the Ptex displacement file?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I had early issues with ptex/mudbox.

The problem was from how you prepare the mesh in mudbox. You have to smooth model to final res BEFORE you setup ptex/paint.

I can't quite tell if that's your issue or not. Also, did you enable 'use negative colors' on the vrayPtex?

Comment

Thanks for your answers guys. I do recall sculpting at higher resolutions before I setup Ptex. I'll do a test in a minute to see if that solves my issues.

Vlado, here are my settings.

Name:	settings.jpg
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	846799

Comment

Here's a simple test I did with a 10x10 plane and I get the same problem. You can see the seam areas along with some strange faceting.

Name:	test.jpg
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	846800

By the way, I'm using Maya 2013.5 with the latest stable build of VRay as of 2/2/13.

Comment

Use a different filter for the PTex texture; the Box filter will get you such artifacts. See here: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R...tex.htm#render

A bit further down the page I show the difference between Box and Cubic filters.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

I've tried all sorts of filtering, from box to gaussian, to bicubic and I still get the same result. When I started, I upped the mudbox ptex definition to roughly 8k before I started painting, so I don't imagine the displacement faceting is pixelization. Even if it was, doesn't VRay displace subdivisions along a smoothed normal?

Have you tried a simple test scene? Are you getting the same result?

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	846805

Comment

Works fine for me... if you like, you can send us the .mud file with the issue to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com and we'll try to figure out what's wrong.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Gray View Post
                  I had early issues with ptex/mudbox.

The problem was from how you prepare the mesh in mudbox. You have to smooth model to final res BEFORE you setup ptex/paint.

I can't quite tell if that's your issue or not. Also, did you enable 'use negative colors' on the vrayPtex?
                  i cant find the "allow negative colors" in the ptex node... is there something hidden.?

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/VRayPtex

Comment

update:

im only able to get good results with uvs and vector displacement... ptex is missing all the negative values...

Comment

Try this mel:

Code:
                      vray addAttributesFromGroup VRayPtex1 vray_file_allow_neg_colors 1;
                      where VRayPtex1 is the name of your ptex node.

Comment

thanks Zach buts its looking the same... i can see the attribute on the node but no affect...

Comment

Would it be possible to send us Maya and Mudbox scene for investigation?
                          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

im on vacation, but i will send something in your direction next week.

Comment

Hi Draganov i contacted the support to setup a ftp or something to send the file to you.
                              its to big for an email.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X