Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary visibility off causes crash

Hi!

I got a scene with some lights, planes with vray light mtl, vray dome light, and a referenced object.
    All works fine until I create a vray single object properties node to my referenced object and uncheck primary visibility. (Tried unchecking prim-vis via attribute spread sheet aswell, same result)
    Maya just crashes in the middle of the render.
    Also! I can render the scene (primevis-off) with some of the light planes on, but not all. I've found some that dont work, but i don't see any difference between them and the ones that work.

I saw somewhere that the direct illumination on vraylightmtl could have some problems with prim-vis off, I checked them all and none had direct illumination.

Going to try as many idea's as I can to get this to work, if there is any bug that you know that this might be related to, please let me know.

It might be some geometry or materialproblem with the referenced object aswell, a car. Because I tried to render just a cube with primevis-off and it worked with all the lights on.

It works fine to render the car with all the lights on when prime-vis is on though.. Soooo... Car with primevis off + some lights = crash.

Comment

update: I can render the car with all the lights on if I hide the headlight-geometry of the car...
      ...And I can render the car with all the lights on if I only have the headlight geometry on..

What a puzzle...

Comment

Couldn't make it work, even after stripping the car to bare minimal, optimizing/cleaning files, exporting/importing etc etc.. So instead of fighting the problem within maya I've decided to render some objects at a time with masks and then put it together in post. It's not as pretty but it will work.

Seems there is some conflict going on between the geometry with materi... ahh.. cant explain it properly.

With all the lights on I can render:

-Full geometry exept headlight
        -Full geometry exept doors (edit: they did also have some refractive part on them...)
        -Full geometry exept plain vray standard mtl on all geometry that used to have refractive materials.
        -and lots of other combination but not the full car.

If anyone's got any ideas on what it could be Im all ears.

edit: Can't remember if any combination with only non-refractive materials excluded worked.. hmm
        Last edited by Marcus_MFX; 06-02-2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Can you sends the scene, so we can try to see what the problem is an to try to fix it?

BTW: What version of Maya, V-Ray and operating system are you using?
          V-Ray developer

Comment

Can't do it now since I dont know how much of the geometry I can share. I will check tomorrow if I can strip it of sensitive geometry and still have a crashing file. I will send that if I can.

Thanks.

Im using Maya 2012 x64, OS X v10.8.2.
            Where do I see what vray version I have?
            Last edited by Marcus_MFX; 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Tricks :
              To clean your geometry, export the geometry into .obj and re-import.
              www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by poetry View Post
                Where do I see what vray version I have?
                You have to start Maya from a terminal and at the top of the log you'll see the version of V-Ray.
                V-Ray developer

Comment

Cant find the location of program so I can drag it into the terminal... dragging in the .app doesnt work.
                  Found this in a script I believe runs when starting maya:

vray_build = "maya2012_vray22001"

Found this in the script editor: requires "vrayformaya" "2.20.01";

Guess thats it then.

Thanks bigbossfr for the tip.

Comment

The command is something like /Applications/Autodesk/maya2012/Maya.app/Contents/bin/maya

After you've drag'n'dropped the app, just type /C and then hit tab, the same for bin and maya
                    V-Ray developer

Comment

Ahh, I see. I'm pretty new to the terminal. Thanks

[2013/Feb/6|19:38:13] V-Ray: V-Ray for Maya version 2.20.01 from Feb 1 2012, 11:20:29
                      [2013/Feb/6|19:38:13] V-Ray: V-Ray core version is 2.00.01

Comment

Feels shitty that I don't upload a scene, but Im too busy right now to fix a scene to send so you guys could see the problem. The other solution seems to work and thats fine for now.

I might get back to this later. Cheerio! Thanks for the help anyways

Comment

Working...
                        X