Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shave Vray Crash To Desktop

Hi all,

I'm trying to get Shave 6.0v74 to render with VRay in Maya 2009 and 2012 (latest downloadable build) in WinXp and Win7 (both x64), with the ShaveForVray files placed in the respective vrayplugins directories, set To Hair Primitives but when I hit render, Maya plainly crashes to the desktop after a few seconds. Shave 6.0v71 does the same thing. And I have no idea how to connect the VRayHairMtl3, if that's what might be causing it.

I could not find a solution with a quick search and am hoping someone can help me out here.

Cheers!
    Last edited by TheRazorsEdge; 12-02-2013, 06:19 AM.

Have you tried to switch to Shave 7.0?
    Older releases are known to crash and not support VRayHairMtl3.
    V-Ray developer

Comment

Did you simply install shave or are you using it from an arbitrary location? According to new releases, shave for maya installer comes with a vrayplugin which is newer then the one available in the separate download, so use that one.
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by TheRazorsEdge View Post
        I'm trying to get Shave 6.0v74 to render with VRay in Maya 2009 and 2012 (latest downloadable build) in WinXp and Win7 (both x64), with the ShaveForVray files placed in the respective vrayplugins directories, set To Hair Primitives but when I hit render, Maya plainly crashes to the desktop after a few seconds. Shave 6.0v71 does the same thing.
        There was a bug where Shave would crash if you apply the Shave node after doing a V-Ray render (but if was fine if you first created the Shave node and then did any rendering). This should be fixed now in Shave 7 I think.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          There was a bug where Shave would crash if you apply the Shave node after doing a V-Ray render (but if was fine if you first created the Shave node and then did any rendering). This should be fixed now in Shave 7 I think.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I recall what we had to do was to first open a scene and do a render with shave/maya software, then switch to vray, that would work
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
            Have you tried to switch to Shave 7.0? Older releases are known to crash and not support VRayHairMtl3.
            I have not yet purchased the update to v7, since I'm a bit tight financially right now and need to direct resources elsewhere, so for now its v6 only for me. Is there an older release of Shave that is known to be more or less stable with VRay?

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
            Did you simply install shave or are you using it from an arbitrary location? According to new releases, shave for maya installer comes with a vrayplugin which is newer then the one available in the separate download, so use that one.
            I used the regular downloadable installer and then extracted the shader files to the vrayplugins folder. Does the last v6 installer include those newer files and should I just try a reinstall with overwriting those files currently in the folder?

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Best regards, Vlado
            Aha, I think I did do a test render with VRay everytime before applying the Shave node. I'll give your suggestion a try.

I recall what we had to do was to first open a scene and do a render with shave/maya software, then switch to vray, that would work
            Good to know, I'll keep that in mind and give it another shot.

Thank you very much again, guys! I'll keep you posted on how this pans out.

Cheers!

Comment

I have not yet purchased the update to v7, since I'm a bit tight financially right now and need to direct resources elsewhere, so for now its v6 only for me. Is there an older release of Shave that is known to be more or less stable with VRay?
              The crashes started to appear with later v6 releases, probably you can try older ones, .50 or something like that, but I don't remember an exact version that worked without crashes.
              But keep in mind that none of the v6 releases support VRayMtlHair3.
              Probably it is a better idea to contact Joe Alter about this issue, because we can't do anything about it.
              V-Ray developer

Comment

Ok, so following that somewhat odd procedure of not rendering a frame with VRay before applying the Shave node, and/or rendering a frame with Maya Software and then switching to VRay I was able to make it work in Maya 2009. In Maya 2012 there's no crash, but Maya complains about some missing file or script/procedure and VRay renders the frame without hair. I've got to look into that later, but for now being able to render Shave with VRay in Maya 2009 has to suffice. Maybe I'll try an earlier version of Shave later, since I'm sure I archived some older installers somewhere.

It's a shame though that VRay can't render Maya Fur, as far as I understand it. Is there any hope of getting that for future versions?

Many thanks to all of you again for your suggestions. I would have never even guessed that weird workaround.

Cheers!

Comment

It's a shame though that VRay can't render Maya Fur, as far as I understand it. Is there any hope of getting that for future versions?
                  It is only up to Autodesk to provide an API. If they provide an API, we will be happy to support it. Currently it is impossible.
                  V-Ray developer

Comment

Well, let's keep our fingers crossed then that they'll be so cooperative.

Thanks again to all for the help with Shave!

Cheers!

Comment

Ok, so following that somewhat odd procedure of not rendering a frame with VRay before applying the Shave node, and/or rendering a frame with Maya Software and then switching to VRay I was able to make it work in Maya 2009. In Maya 2012 there's no crash, but Maya complains about some missing file or script/procedure and VRay renders the frame without hair. I've got to look into that later, but for now being able to render Shave with VRay in Maya 2009 has to suffice. Maybe I'll try an earlier version of Shave later, since I'm sure I archived some older installers somewhere.

Many thanks to all of you again for your suggestions. I would have never even guessed that weird workaround.

Cheers!
                      For vray when it cant render shave fur, you must make sure that shaveVrayPreRender and Post render scripts are specified in the mel line for post/prerender callbacks. If they are not specified it will not be rendered.
                      Dmitry Vinnik
                      Silhouette Images Inc.
                      ShowReel:

Comment

Well, let's keep our fingers crossed then that they'll be so cooperative.
                        They have not for several years. Probably if enough users open bug reports directly on their bug tracker about this issue they'll listen and do something about it.
                        But until then Maya Fur won't be supported in V-Ray, unfortunately.
                        V-Ray developer

Comment

For vray when it cant render shave fur, you must make sure that shaveVrayPreRender and Post render scripts are specified in the mel line for post/prerender callbacks. If they are not specified it will not be rendered.
                          Thanks a lot for the info. I'll try again with that in mind.

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
                          They have not for several years. Probably if enough users open bug reports directly on their bug tracker about this issue they'll listen and do something about it.
                          But until then Maya Fur won't be supported in V-Ray, unfortunately.
                          Gee, that's sad news! Makes you wonder what their problem is. MayaFur is still a great option to have in your toolbox.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X