Linear workflow button obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear workflow button obsolete?

I'm getting this warning msg when i render - i'm using the nightly from two days ago, for maya 2013 and 2014 on OSX.

// Warning: The 'linear workflow' option is deprecated and will be removed. Consider turning it off.

I always used the checkbox to auto gamma correct color textures as it was by far the easier than doing in manually for each texture in the scene.. is there no way to do that now?

same issue here
    but I'm on win x64 and maya 2014

vray did about 500 frames of animation (brute force gi and some nederhorst) pretty well - hd at about 2 to 5 min / fr . .. but suddendly I got rendertimes per frame of about 50 min - don't know why!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DPGrafik View Post
      I always used the checkbox to auto gamma correct color textures as it was by far the easier than doing in manually for each texture in the scene.. is there no way to do that now?
      The option still works as before and you can use it if you wish; the warning is just a reminder. We will probably need to support the Maya color management options at some point...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by mayanic View Post
        vray did about 500 frames of animation (brute force gi and some nederhorst) pretty well - hd at about 2 to 5 min / fr . .. but suddendly I got rendertimes per frame of about 50 min - don't know why!!!
        I don't know why either, but it's totally unrelated to the above warning. It would be best if you can get us some more information to vraymaya@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

// Warning: The 'linear workflow' option is deprecated and will be removed. Consider turning it off.

altough vray says that he will "remove" the linear workflow option - he doesn't?!
          renders look different - darker - doesn't look like a gamma issue . .. I'm going to try an older nightly tomorrow

thx - and sorry for hijacking this thread (wasntme)

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Vlado
            finally I figured out what causes the problem. suddendly the render times increase from one frame to another - but when i turn specific geometry's subdivision tag off everything behaves quite normal
            must be a bug?!

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              The option still works as before and you can use it if you wish; the warning is just a reminder. We will probably need to support the Maya color management options at some point...

Best regards,
              Vlado
              That would be nice for textures, but what about color swatches? Is there a possibility of creating a vray color swatch node that say a user chooses .128 .128 .128 which displays correctly in the viewport and Maya UI at 128, but renders out the appropriate value accordingly?

There is a gamma correct node obviously but that "breaks" viewport textures and natural colours which is a reason why Linear Workflow checkbox is nice and appealing.
              Maya 2020/2022
              Win 10x64
              Vray 5

Comment

phew - was worried that i needed to manually color correct textures. I still think the LWF button is the most elegant solution to color management yet as it's intelligent enough to know which slots in general recieve sRGB maps and linear maps. I see no reason to support maya's own color management untill AD makes it better.

Comment

phew - was worried that i needed to manually color correct textures. I still think the LWF button is the most elegant solution to color management yet as it's intelligent enough to know which slots in general recieve sRGB maps and linear maps. I see no reason to support maya's own color management untill AD makes it better.
                  you also got my vote on this

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
                    That would be nice for textures, but what about color swatches? Is there a possibility of creating a vray color swatch node that say a user chooses .128 .128 .128 which displays correctly in the viewport and Maya UI at 128, but renders out the appropriate value accordingly?
                    It's not impossible, certainly

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

+1 from me too. Please don't remove this. The maya implementation is no good since it
                      1) does not work with swatches
                      2) changes all texture maps indiscrimatly and thus breaks things like normal maps, vector displacement maps, HDRI, etc.

The vray button in contrast works great. Please please please keep it.
                      If people don't want to click it they don't need to, but many of us don't want to go back to manually gamma correcting everything. The maya color space manager is simply not a viable option.

Comment

And I just want to throw a quick comment into the discussion since we insert the gamma nodes into our shader networks...

Even if the option is kept, please keep it as an option.

EDIT: What I mean is, we don't use this checkbox...
                        Last edited by Fredrik Averpil; 05-12-2013, 05:46 AM.
                        Best Regards,
                        Fredrik

Comment

We're not going to remove it so don't worry about this However I still think that it solves the problem in the wrong place. Ideally the Maya color management would take care of all that.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

+1 to the idea of adding a "vray solid color" 2d texture with an "output gamma" attribute. Would be handy. Currently the workarounds are to use a 32 x 32px texture file, or a ramp with only 1 color entry, or a blend color with the Blender attribute set to 0. These get the job done, but it makes shader optimization and tweaking much harder later on, when you open a shader someone else has made and you don't know which Ramps are actually ramps, and which ones are standins for a solid color.

It's quite odd that color textures in Maya don't have an outputGamma attribute as standard, in the Color Balance rollout. Vlado it would be great if you could add an output gamma Vray attribute that modifies the rgb values at rendertime, leaving the viewport color perceptually correct.

matt

Comment

You can use a gamma correct node it has a color swatch and value fields for the gamma.

Best regards
                              Armin

Comment

Working...
                              X