2 x Z-depth questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 x Z-depth questions

1. The first one is about Z-depth and transparency. My scene has an object that is partially glass. I have set Affect Channels “all channels” to the glass material and ticked “Filtering” in the vrayRE_Z-depth render element. When rendering in VFB the Z-depth pass has transparency and refraction information. Perfect! But when opening the saved Z-depth pass in After Effects there is no longer any transparency or refraction information, just pure white in the glass area. So what am I missing or doing wrong? Why can I see the data in the VFB but not in AE? I have tried saving out 16 bit png, 32 bit exr single and multi channel but end up with the same result.

2. The second question is about generating Z-depth pass “use depth from the camera” vs setting black and white distance manually in the Z-depth render element. In online tutorials people seem to prefer setting the black and white distance manually. Does this produce a Z-depth with better quality? If using the VRay Physical Camera I would suspect “use depth from the camera” would produce a more “physically” correct Z-Depth pass. Is this true?

/Oscar

Hi Oscar,

About point one, could you try to open the Z-depth file with other software? Maybe a simple image viewer. What about if you save it to JPG file?
    I'm not able to test with After Effects here, but there should be no problems with this, thought.

About the second point, it's just an additional option to control the Z-depth pass. When "use depth from the camera” option is checked, it will take the z-boundaries from the camera environment ranges or camera clipping planes.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Tashko, and thank you for your reply. The strange thing is that if I render a Zdepth with the option "use depth from the camera" I get a correct pass with transparency and refraction. But if I set my own black and white depth I get a solid white in the transparent area.

If I open the image in PS it's still no transparency, and I have tried saving it as a jpg with no difference.

Well I can of course use the "depth from the camera" option but it would be nice to be able to use the depth value option aswell. I will do some more test.

/Oscar

Comment

Would it be possible to send us a sample scene with the setup you are talking about ?
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Of course I can do that. I appreciate that you want to look at the file. I just need to replace all confidential geometry before sending it.

/Oscar

Comment

Working...
          X