Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really a problem, more trying to use matte shadow with tinted shadows

Hi Folks,

I was trying to do something clever (that's where the problems start) for my compositors with the matte shadow element in maya. If I have a scene with multiple lights, I want to give them each shadow as a separate pass so that they can play with the brightness of each separately. What I was trying to do was use the shadow tint option in maya so that I got a pure red and pure green shadow for my two lights so that they'd be a pure channel each. This works quite well overall, but if you have a situation where two shadows overlap, you get a black hole appearing in the frame with massively negative float numbers. Again this is probably a misuse of what the pass is intended to do but it'd be quite handy if it did behave!

Beauty:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	matte_shadow_error_2014_beauty.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	879986

Matte shadow element:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	matte_shadow_error_2014_MatteShad_element.matteShadow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	879987

matte_shadow_error_2014.zip

It seems that Lights with Shadow Color different than black produce very strange color-values in Matte Shadow RE.
    In the scene you sent us each shadow have two negative color values and one positive, thats why the shadows have some color. In the blending area all three components (R,G,B) have negative numbers and the result is displayed with black color. It looks like a bug but I have to confirm it with our devs.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Yeah it's a bit of a misuse of the shadow tint to start but it'd be a very handy one for getting lots of flexibility out of one pass - kind of like the multimatte element except for shadows!

Comment

Hi,

This issue is considered as a bug and our developers are working on the fix.
        Thank you.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I'm done with maya on friday, get them to fix it in max first if the same problem is there

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
            I'm done with maya on friday, get them to fix it in max first if the same problem is there
            Seems to work fine in V-Ray 3 for 3DS Max. If you have any problems, please inform us again.

Comment

Awesome, then get them to work on raw light selects in 3dsmax instead

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                Awesome, then get them to work on raw light selects in 3dsmax instead
                Could you share an example file to check this out?

Comment

No, Vlado's been working on adding in the raw option in light selects for max for a while so they aren't in there yet but it's being pushed along at the minute - it'll be the only thing I miss from maya so far

Comment

Working...
                  X