Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya Extension 1 Service Pack 5

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest nightly (141017, v25070) of V-Ray 3 for Maya 2015 and noticed it does not work with the latest Autodesk release on Linux: Maya 2015 64-bit Linux Extension 1 Service Pack 5.

The equivalent V-Ray build for Windows works fine with Maya2015 Ext1SP5 on Windows. So it seems like there's some issue with the V-Ray plug-in for Linux or with the new Ext1SP5 -- depending on how you see it.

If I use the same V-Ray build with Maya 2015 (no ext, no SP) on Linux, it loads fine.

This is the error I'm getting:

Code:
    Error: line 1: Unable to dynamically load : /192.168.0.225/Pipeline/bin/vray/builds/141017_beta_v25070_maya2015_linux/maya_vray/plug-ins/vrayformaya.so
    libAdskXGen.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Error: line 1: libAdskXGen.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (vrayformaya)
    Warning: line 1: Unrecognized node type for node 'vraySettings'; preserving node information during this session.
    Warning: line 1: Errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss.
    File read in  0.63 seconds.
    Result: //192.168.0.225/prod/proj4/maya/scenes/scene1.mb
    Error: file: //192.168.0.225/Pipeline/bin/vray/builds/141017_beta_v25070_maya2015_linux/maya_vray/scripts/vrayRegisterRenderer.mel line 62: Cannot find procedure "vrayDebug".
    Error: file: /tmp/ASTMPBCacbn.mel line 9: setAttr: No object matches name: vraySettings.width
    Error: file: /tmp/ASTMPBCacbn.mel line 39: Scene //192.168.0.225/prod/proj4/maya/scenes/scene1.mb failed to render.

// Maya exited with status 210
    So, the problems arise on Linux only and in V-Ray 3 build 25070 with Maya 2015 Extension 1 Service Pack 5. I'm on CentOS 6.4.
    Last edited by Fredrik Averpil; 21-10-2014, 05:06 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Fredrik

Has a previous nightly worked with Maya2015 Ext1SP5?
    I tried it with a normal V-Ray install (with the latest nightly) and it worked fine.
    You can try to add the path to the libAdskXGen.so to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH like this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64/plug-ins/xgen/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and then run maya (the path might be different on your setup)
    We've had to do this when we tried to use mayapy under linux for maya 2015+.

I will try a few things and write to you again
    V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Hi Viktor,

Your suggestion worked!
      After having added the path to the xgen libraries in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, the vrayformaya.so plugin was successfully loaded, no errors were reported and everything rendered fine in Linux.

This is awesome, thanks for this "quick fix". This means we can start try things out with V-Ray 3 in Ext1SP5 which is nice!

Just for the record, I had not tried any other build in Ext1SP5, so I don't know if other builds (V-Ray 2 or V-Ray 3) could have worked.
      Best Regards,
      Fredrik

Comment

So I tried with the following setup:

LINUX: CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
        VRAY: vray_adv_30504_maya2015_linux_x64_25070_zip.rar
        MAYA: Maya 2015 Extension Release 1

Maya script console gave me this:

about -iv;
        // Result: Autodesk Maya 2015 Extension 1 //
        about -api;
        // Result: 201506 //

I did an install from the nightly zip like explained HERE.

I was unable to reproduce your problem - everything loaded fine.
        I also tried with the normal installer with and without using the default directories.

I also tried with Maya 2015 SP5 and it worked again.
        Script console for it:

about -api;
        // Result: 201507 //
        about -iv;
        // Result: Autodesk Maya 2015 SP5 //

You said you were using "Maya 2015 64-bit Linux Extension 1 Service Pack 5" - I am not sure what that version is...

Is there something different in your setup? (except for the CentOS version - I don't think it matters)
        How is Maya installed? Mine is local - on my machine and not over the network...
        Last edited by viktor.kirilov; 22-10-2014, 10:14 AM.
        V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Hi again Viktor,

I am developing our "next-gen" V-Ray pipeline here, and in that we are running Maya as well as V-Ray from a network installation. This makes it possible for us to mix and match Maya/V-Ray (and other plugins) as we choose in projects.

I could successfully reproduce this issue by leaving that xgen path in or out of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so I'm 100% sure that the problem is real in our setup. I actually confirmed it again now, prior to replying just to be sure. By leaving that path out, I get the same error as I initially posted about. When putting it back in, vrayformaya.so is loaded and everything renders fine.

LINUX: CentOS 6.4 64-bit (final)
          VRAY: vray_adv_30504_maya2015_linux_x64_25070_zip.rar
          MAYA: Maya 2015 Extension Release 1 Service Pack 5

I get this here in that particular Maya/V-Ray/OS combo/setup:
          Code:
          about -api;
          // Result: 201507 // 
          about -iv;
          // Result: Autodesk Maya 2015 Extension 1 + SP5 //

If logged into the Autodesk Subscription Area, we can download the latest Maya Extension release, which is "Extension 1 Service Pack 5".

In case you want to install your Maya onto a network location and then launch it in Linux, this is what I did:
          1. Install as normal, in Linux, on local machine.
          2. Copy the whole maya directory onto a network path, and make sure to transform symlinks into actual files on the network share. I did it like this on my CentOS 6.4 box: cp -vrLp /usr/autodesk/maya2015-x64 /server/share/folder/maya2015-x64
          3. Execute the remote maya2015-x64/bin/Render executable on the commandline to render a scene. This does not require a Maya license, so you do not need to fiddle around with the so called "Thin Client" licensing stuff.

PS. Congratulations on getting V-Ray 3 "into battle"! Can't wait to have it officially in use here!
          Last edited by Fredrik Averpil; 22-10-2014, 11:34 PM.
          Best Regards,
          Fredrik

Comment

So I found that release of Maya and installed it. I did not go as far as using a network location, but I copied the maya install with your command to a local folder and used it with a zip install of vray with lots of exported environment varaibles (but without the path to the xgen stuff) and it still worked.

I wrote to autodesk about this issue because I have encountered something similar when using mayapy under linux from any version of Maya 2015 so I would not be surprised if your problem is in fact real

By the way I am really glad You like our software
            V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Thanks both of you for your posts - just saved me from a very long night...

I've installed the v3 official release (downloaded today) on CentOS with Maya Ext1 SP5 and I hit the exact same errors. Nothing fancy in my setup, Vray installed via the wizard (text only) and Maya installed via rpm. All fixed with the env var export.

Comment

Working...
              X