Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray crashes when I add a material to a blend material...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray crashes when I add a material to a blend material...

So...I'm not certain if anyone will be able to help me. Since this seems to be more of a system-wide problem and not scene specific.
    I'm on Maya 2014 Service pack 1
    V-Ray for Maya version 3.00.01 on V-Ray core version is 3.05.07

Any time I make a blend material and add the first material to it, maya crashes immediately.
    It isn't scene specific though. If I start a brand new empty scene and then add a material to a blend material maya crashes and closes.
    I've restarted my computer; it worked a single time after that, but then when I add the second material to the blend material it crashes.
    I have reset all my preferences and presets. No luck.

I'm kind of at a dead end because I need to do some work with a blend material and there is literally nothing I can do to make it not crash.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing before? Any ideas?

hmm. Odd, while I can't help you with the why it crashes, you might want to turn off your thumbnails preview:

// Turns on thumbnail updates.
    renderThumbnailUpdate true;

// Turns off thumbnail updates.
    renderThumbnailUpdate false;

this will not redraw shaders but at least you should be able to setup your network and do your work.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

That wasn't it BUT I think we figured out the problem.
      It was a license thing. We recently updated our license server. So the server was changed to a different name. We updated the info in the primary license server slot in the "Change License Settings" application but moved the old server name into the alternate license server 1 slot. Apparently that caused the problem. When we removed that old address from the alternate license server it stopped crashing.

I don't know why that happened, and I don't know how we figured it out honestly...but that seemed to fix the problem.
      Is that an error I wonder or is that actually supposed to happen?

Thanks for you help!!!

Comment

It's not supposed to happen. Is the old license server still proving some sort of licenses? And which OS are you using?
        V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Well our old license server is still online but the license server service isn't running.

All our workstations are Windows 7 x64 and our license servers are on windows 2003 x32 (that's our old license server that we aren't using anymore) and windows 2003 x64 (which is the new license server we're using now).

Comment

What are the exact versions of the old/new license server/V-Ray?
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
            X