Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scene / Render Stuck in Memory causing Nvidia OpenGL Error 9

Hello,

I am dealing with a large scene file around 9 gig, and am rendering out 8K Renders over night. My Memory limit in my Machine is 64 Gig.

When I check them in the morning, everything is fine but obviously my maya.exe process is consuming 30-40 Gig of RAM opposed to 11Gig of RAM normally for this scene file...

When I go to navigate the scene in the viewport, I get this

This only happens after rendering, I can only assume that my memory is maxing out and Nvidia Flips out.~

Once Maya crashes, I open up task manager and the maya.exe process is still there consuming 30gig of RAM, once I end this process and re-enter Maya and load up the scene, everything is fine.

I can only assume that Maya isn't dumping the scene out of its RAM after rendering has finished, does anyone know why?

Regards,
    Ashton
    Attached Files
    Ashton Woolley
    Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Assuming you're using the production renderer, opposed to RT, are you rendering animation and/or render layers, multiple cameras in batch (anything that means more than one render/frame)?
    And if so, are you caching bitmaps and geometry between renders?
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Hey Yolov,

Assuming you're using the production renderer, opposed to RT, are you rendering animation and/or render layers, multiple cameras in batch (anything that means more than one render/frame)?
      And if so, are you caching bitmaps and geometry between renders?

Using the production Render, Not Vray RT, Rendering a single frame, No Batch Rendering, Rendering in the VFB, No multi-cameras or scripts.

Cache geometry plugins between renders: OFF
      Cache bitmaps plugins between renders: OFF

I do notice that even if these are on when I hit the button to clear the cache it doesn't clear.

Regards,
      Ashton
      Ashton Woolley
      Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Comment

Well, the "clear" button would clear any cache left in RAM after the first render has finished (geometry and bitmaps are actually cached after the first render if the cache is enabled).

It might be something else then, maybe some memory leak. Any chance you can send us the scene for investigation?
        Maya and VRay versions? OS?
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
          Well, the "clear" button would clear any cache left in RAM after the first render has finished (geometry and bitmaps are actually cached after the first render if the cache is enabled).
          This is what I thought... Should I try hitting this after I do a Render and see if it clears the Cache?

[QUOTE=It might be something else then, maybe some memory leak. Any chance you can send us the scene for investigation?
          Maya and VRay versions? OS?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the scene is for a current job and the geometry is confidential so I it not possible :/

Sorry, I know it is a inconvenience, I will do another render and report if anything changes.

I also Lock my Machine at night whilst it is rendering, thought I would mentioned that even though it might do nothing.
          Ashton Woolley
          Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Comment

Should I try hitting this after I do a Render and see if it clears the Cache?
            This is when it would work, otherwise there will be nothing cached (or during render it will do nothing).

We'll try and run some tests here to see if locking the machine while rendering does something unexpected, although this is doubtful to be the cause.
            Could you tell us what VRay and Maya versions you are using. Also I assume you're using windows, is this win7 or 8?

Eventually, if a time comes when the problem is still there and you are able to share the scene, please let us know, it would be helpful to fixing any potential issues.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Maya 2014 SP1 - Vray 3.00.01 x64 - Win 7

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
              Ashton Woolley
              Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Comment

One more thing, are you using the progressive sampler or you're rendering buckets?
                Alex Yolov
                Product Manager
                www.chaos.com

Comment

Well, nothing turned up from our tests, so any further info and reproduction steps for this will be helpful.
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

I got the same error. This is not specific to VRay, this is Maya viewport problem when your card can not deal with a lot of elements in your scene.
                    I have a computer with a sh*t card here, i have this error with big scenes.
                    Same scenes with good cards (Quadro or Titan), i don't have this problem (with VRay or not).
                    www.deex.info

Comment

Ah sorry I have just seen this. I was rendering using buckets.

bigbossfr could be on to something, the scene is quite heavy even though I am using a K5000 - So the scene is quite intense.

Thanks for both your help.
                      Ashton Woolley
                      Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Comment

Working...
                      X