Projected texture not baking out properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projected texture not baking out properly

I am projecting a texture onto several flat objects forming a wall, using a camera projection. The texture was painted in photoshop and is projected from a 3D camera in Maya 2014, however I need to bake the texture out so that I can take it into a 3D paint package and "finish" painting the sides, without need for a projection anymore. This would involve baking the projection out and taking the baked textures into Mudbox, for example, to paint the sides, where the projection has stretched.

I created UV's for all faces in the geometry so that I could easily paint. All faces have UV's, so they should bake out textures based on these UV's. I assigned a VRay baking options node and baked out the projection. The resulting textures, however, do not map properly and are off. What am I doing wrong? I seem to have set up everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProjTex_example.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	881565

Above is the projected texture, and below the same texture after baking out. It is off as you can see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bakedTex_example.png
Views:	1
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	881566

Here is the scene , if someone wants to take a look and tell me what I did wrong. It is Maya 2014 and Vray 3.0. I would really appreciate it. The textures for the projection and the baked elements are included in the archive, so that you can test out the shaders and bake settings.

Thank you for any pointers.
    Raphael

It seems you have only included the baked textures. Can you share the files needed for the projection itself?
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

I apologize, for this oversight... Anyways, I switched to Mental Ray to test with another renderer, and was getting the same results. The solution was switching projection modes in the projection control node. Here are the correct attribute settings, for the record:

Fit Type: switch from "Match Camera Resolution" to "Match Camera Film Gate"
      Fit Fill: switch from "Fill" to "Horizontal"

In any render camera, both projection settings will yield the same projection and render the same, HOWEVER, only the second option creates a proper texture bake because it projects based on the film gate and not the output resolution of your render settings, which are different than the output resolution of your bake texture...

I just wanted to share this.
      Last edited by freedomfries; 08-04-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X