• Dark Area glossy issue / long time render

Hi guys (i'm new here).

I work on a project
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lego_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	883172

I have reflection/tiny bump/displace from zbrush/SSS.
    I have some issue with dark area and glossy.
    My render is pretty quick but in this area i have on or 2 bucket that take 10 to 30 minutes. (my render make aproximatly 30 minutes without that).

Name:	lego__front_red.jpg
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	883169Click image for larger version

Name:	lego_3_4_red.jpg
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	883170Click image for larger version

Name:	lego_front_red_02.jpg
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	883168

It's on my reflection, i try to add more AA subdiv or more relfection subdiv, work with a bigger resolution or low threshold.
    All my map are convert to .tx or .tiledexr .
    I work with Udim from mari and Zbrush , LWF. And i try to optimise why akin bilgic web site method's and his dmc calculator.
    Maya 2015 / Vray 3.10

It's a neutral look dev scene with HDRI.
    Do you have any idea for reduce render time for that ?
    (I can send or post my pass scene or graph)

Thx !

GILBERT Kevin
    Multiply Studio
    Attached Files

I think its an issue with lightcache. If you use bf/bf does it still happen?
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

hi
      You are right, I have check "Use light cache for glossy rays" but not "Retrace threshold". I have set 1500 subdiv LC . Down to 500 , my render time decrease, i have save twenty minute.
      I have 30 minutes by frame(with 6 computers), still huge , but may be acceptable for a glossy render with SSS with a resolution of 1080.
      (i gonna try to optimise again)

Thank you !

Comment

it shouldn't take this long for a simple render like that...
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:

Comment

No reason that should be as slow - great looking lookdev scene too, looks like it returns similar brightness values to the materials colours and there's some lights in there to create speculars too!

Comment

Thank for helping me,
            I have done some test.
            Without Scatter Gi , my render is much faster , 30 minutes with , 15 minutes without.
            I use Brute force/ light cache. With a single Scatter on Simple mode.
            AA 1/30 with a threshold 0.008 without AA filter.
            I have fine detail on texture reflection Bump so i up my AA and for cleaning noise i raised material subdiv between 88 to 128.
            I don't exactly know what subdiv is taken for calculate this pass, I guess is Gi subdiv. But Simple mode is link with the dome light subdiv if i'm not wrong ?
            I certainly miss something.

Comment

just curious what kind of hardware you have? it seems excessively long with even 15 min per frame...
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:

Comment

Hi ,
                At home i have a I7 2,40ghz with 16 go RAM (it's a workstation dell precision) but i can work on mari without problem. At my office my workstation it's ok / I7 or xeon, with 16 or 32GO .

I think i have figured out my problem i have tiny detail in my displace and my bump so i have to up the AA to 22 ou 30 for cleaning geo and texture on the sample rate pass.
                But for cleaning shadows of my HDRI i have to up subdiv to 300 with a threshold 0.010.
                it's huge with a AA at 22 or 30.
                May be i gonna make an other lighting but i'm interested to know what is making noise with hdri, is it super white to strong ? too much contrast ?

Thx

Comment

Hi again, When i spoke about tiny detail that can't be clearly seen with my actual Hdri.

Name:	Lego_face.png
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	859256

Name:	legojpg.jpg
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	859257

Comment

300 subdivs are quite a lot for any light and noise from lights is usually resolved with much smaller values.
                    Does the noise clear with less subdivisions if the HDRI-texture is removed from the light?
                    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

why do you use a displacement map? normal or even a bump map are enough for these small details.

Comment

HI, i use display from zbrush for sculpt detail and bump for tiny plastic detail

Comment

Hi, i finally , create a light set, my shadows was more hard , so my sss render more faster but have you some problem with high AA sample and sss ? I have to up my setting to 1/25 or on close up 1/40 for small detail.
                          i used raytrace sss on single scatter simple
                          on render region, my time without sss was 2 minutes and with 12 minutes , i don't oversampling material samples, i try 8 to 300 sudviv

Comment

can you post a sample scene?

Comment

Working...
                            X