Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 - Running Vray from command prompt

Hey all.

I've already submitted a ticket for this to support ("Support Ticket Opened [#399833]"), but I wanted to post here just in case anyone had any solutions right off the bat. I'll update this ticket once support gets back to me (if they do before a solution is posted here).

I am getting an error running Vray/Maya from the command prompt on our Windows Server 2008 machines. The error is as follows - “Error: Line 1: Error reading file.”

A video of what I'm experiencing is linked below-
    https://youtu.be/uie18rpQ6n0

There is an error opening up the file. The render output is just a completely transparent .PNG with the correct dimensions but no output image. Everything being called upon is being done so from a UNC path location. The same operation works flawlessly on my workstation running Win7 Pro which leads me to think this is an issue with Server 2008 support. All firewalls and UAC have been disabled.

If you guys have any ideas please let me know. The scene is a simple box with a plane, a light, a camera and one VrayMtl applied to the plane and the box.

Best,
    Clayton

Also some more details about what I'm running-

Vray Build 3.10 official (14 July 2015)
    Maya 2016 SP5 64bit
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Comment

Another update. Upon reinstalling a fresh install of Maya 2016 w/ SP5 and fresh install of Vray, the problem still persisted...

I then saved out the exact same file as a .MA not a .MB and it worked... Still not clear what is going on here, but I wanted to give an update to the issue.

Comment

Last reply, I promise..

After banging my head against the computer I think I've found out that this isn't a Vray related problem at all, but a Maya/Autodesk issue.

I'm a beta test for Maya 2016.5 and I think that installation overwrote a few common files for Maya 2016 which in end had Maya 2016 imprint the Maya 2016.5 beta version with the save... .MA files were able to correct themselves as they were able to be read, but .MB files had "baked" in versions that Maya on the slaves (without the 2016.5 installed) couldn't recognize. This is what I'm theorizing here and will know more after I wipe 2016.5 from my computer and never beta test again.

Sorry for the spam and any inconvenience this thread might of caused. Chaosgroup (Vlado in particular) has always been very support oriented and I appreciate it.

Best,
        Clayton

Comment

"Error reading file" is usually printed by Maya when a scene file saved with a newer version is opened in an older version. So your conclusion is correct. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
          When such error is printed, there is usually more information in the script editor, although not always.
          .ma is usually easier to handle between maya version, although some major software changes could block this usage.
          .mb are binary files and will generally never open in an older maya.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
          X