Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Sun and Sky Hosek Model Background not working in RT

Hello,

It seems that when I am using the new hosek model that the background color gives a NaN value of some sort. If I hit the standard render button, the background color comes through totally fine. Attached below are two images, captured while RT was running.

First is Preetham working ok:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	chaos_sun_preetham.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	883957

And here you can see Hosek, with the background showing black and the weird value in the pixel info:

Name:	chaos_sun_hosek.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	883958

This is from Maya 2016, Windows 10, on the latest 3.30.02 (this problem also happened in 3.30.01). The render as well as RT are both in CPU mode.

I am attaching this simple scene below as well. Thank you for the help!

simpleSunIPR.zip

Thanks for the scene, but we couldn't reproduce this issue.
    Both 3.30.01 and 3.30.02 on windows 7, 8 and 10 show no problem in production, RT CPU or RT GPU.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Any ideas what could be happening on my end then? Would any driver be related to that?

Comment

Can you try to uninstall, then manually delete any VRay related data in Maya, and then install again? There were some plugin relate changes, and if you have old VRay plugins in the same directory, they may try to load also and replace the new ones.
        V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Nah no luck. Uinstalled and checked folder and did not find any other vray folders to remove. Did a clean install and still same results.

I found some other weird things as well. It appears that if I turn on GI, it will show what looks like only the GI pass? Again, this is only in RT. It will also do this in the viewport based RT as well.

Here is a screen shot of this weird GI only look:

Name:	chaos_gi_sun.JPG
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	860436

non-ipr render of same setup:

Name:	chaos_render_sun.JPG
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	860437

Any other ideas? I am going to be needing the functionality for a new project :\ Thank you for the help!

Comment

Are there any errors in the Maya Output window, and/or the script editor?
            Can you export that scene to vrscene (from the translator tab in the render settings > common) and run it in standalone (vray -scenefile=<your_scene> -rtengine=1)?
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

There are no errors in the output manager, and although I exported a vrscene file, I am using an educational license and only have access to 3.2 vray standalone demo which does not have the hosek model. Is there a way you can pass me a link to a 3.3 demo for testing?

I have taken the following steps:
              updated to maya 2016 SP6
              deleted maya prefs
              deleted and reinstalled vray
              ran windows update and updated nvidia driver

Unfortunately still same result in the simple scene after all those changes.

Comment

You should have an academic standalone with your maya installation. Try Start menu > Chaos Group > V-Ray for Maya > V-Ray standalone command prompt. Pass it this:
                vray -scenefile=<drag-n-drop your scene here> -rtengine=1
                Alex Yolov
                Product Manager
                www.chaos.com

Comment

A few other questions came to mind:
                  1. Do you have other V-Ray installations on your machine (3ds max, vray for other maya versions)
                  2. when you start RT and get the faulty result, do you have an RT console popping up (should be visible in the task manager)
                  3. If 2 is a "yes" - can you scroll to the top to where it says "loading plugins from..." and copy this line here
                  4. if 2 is a "yes" - can you see if the plugin path for 3. matches the one on the top of the maya output window where it says "Loading plugins from..."
                  5. if the answer to 2 is "no" - then you probably have a vrayMayaSpawner (vray render slave) registered as a service - try and unregister it (again from the start menu > Chaos Group)
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

Hi Alex,

It is fixed! Thank you!

I had vray 3.1 installed on maya 2014 on my system, after I uninstalled that everything started working perfectly. I am assuming when I hit the IPR button that 3.1 was the default renderer to use? Thus resulting in the sky not displaying correctly?

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

The "loading plugins from" part of the log would have printed if there was a mismatch in versions - for instance if you had a service running for the 3.1 spawner, it would automatically run for RT for any started session from any version. I think that would have been the most probable cause. 3.3 has newer sky options and 3.1. can't read them and would make a mess.
                      Glad to know everyhing is OK now.
                      Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                      X