Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Viewer resolution

Hi,

Has anyone else had a problem with the Material viewer downsizing textures in preview? I have found that the files look fine in Hardware but not in V-ray.

See examples.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-28 11_12_06-Material Viewer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	884084

Name:	2016-04-28 11_12_24-Material Viewer.png
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	884085

Thanks

-K

We create thumbnails for the material swatches to speed up their preview; the size is 256x256 from what I remember. They are written to a folder called .vrayThumbs inside the image folder.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thought that might be the case. This also means the material preview is low res too. Is there a way of controlling this?

Name:	2016-04-28 11_47_09-Material Viewer.jpg
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	860562

Comment

This seems to be hard-coded for now, but we can certainly add more control over it. Do you want to just disable the thumbnails altogether, or be able to control their resolution, or both?

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Both would be the dream but having control over the cap is more important to me. I'd say 4k would suffice for a good preview, this current preview isn't really usable for fine tuning.

Name:	2016-04-28 12_52_08-Material Viewer.jpg
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	860563

Comment

Yeah, when we implemented this, there were only the attribute editor thumbnails and for them 256x256 was more than enough Anyways, will make a note to look into it.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Btw what would happen if you delete all files from the .vrayThumbs folder and make it read-only? I think if we fail to create the thumbnail image, we just use the original map... not really a workable solution, I'm just interested what would happen.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Probably a permissions issue but it still writes the little exrs when I have read-only on. I'll try a sort it out when I get a minute.

-K

Comment

Working...
                X