Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUDA and vector displacement

Hi,

not sure if its a bug or lack of support but today for the first time I tried out CUDA and the scene happens to use vector displacement.

For some reason it doesn't render - its basically rendering only the low rez polygon mesh. Is that lack of functionality?

Am I expecting too much from the CUDA implementation?

A bit of a negative first experience with CUDA right off the start I say! hehe :P

thanks
    Peter

Can you post the scene or a version of it that will reproduce the problem?
    It would also help to know your VRay/Maya/OS versions + nvidia hardware and driver versions.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
      It would also help to know your VRay/Maya/OS versions + nvidia hardware and driver versions.
      My specs:
      OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 7.5.15.
      Driver version: 10.18.13.5382
      Quadro K4200 & Geforce GTX 660Ti
      Vray Nightly build 26.5.2016
      Win10 Pro
      I will prepare the scene later the day. But does CUDA vray support vector displacement?

Comment

It should work fine, I think - at least I don't see an immediate reason why it won't.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          It should work fine, I think - at least I don't see an immediate reason why it won't.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          So i tried again with fresh scene and I come to same conclusion:
          Check out the picture with comparison I made.
          Oh, btw. I am using 26.5.2016 release of vray

Last edited by Pete3d; 26-05-2016, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Can you check if the "resize textures" is enabled for GPU (it is by default) and disable it to see if that helps.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Ok. Here is the scene.

Comment

Can you check if the "resize textures" is enabled for GPU (it is by default) and disable it to see if that helps.
                I tried all resolutions and bit depths with and without checkbox on 'GPU resize textures'

Last edited by Pete3d; 26-05-2016, 06:00 AM.

Comment

here it is... Click image for larger version

Name:	GPU_TextureSize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	862170
                  Vray 3.5, Win10
                  www.3dcompani.com

Comment

Originally posted by Komposer View Post
                    here it is... [ATTACH=CONFIG]30451[/ATTACH]
                    thank you . found it 1 sec after posting hehe

Comment

Well, then all that's left is to debug the scene. Thanks for the link.
                      Alex Yolov
                      Product Manager
                      www.chaos.com

Comment

Hello Pete3d,

Vector displacement is a supported feature on the GPU, however the GPU handles displacement a bit differently than the CPU.
                        At the moment the Bump map that is applied to the mesh after displacement that you can see when rendering on the CPU is not a supported feature on the GPU.
                        Also, the GPU requires normals to be calculated before rendering and cached (this is the Cache Expanded option so V-Ray will always consider it ON when rendering on the GPU).
                        This option relies on the max number of subdivisions to produce good results. You can see how the CPU and GPU results are quite similar if the Cache Expanded option is ticked.
                        So I will advise to crank the max number of subdivisions (which by default is set to 4) and see how this works for you.

Unfortunately I don't think I can give you a better solution at the moment.

We will update the help pages to include this information as soon as possible.
                        Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

Working...
                        X