Maya 2d/3d Texture Nodes - Visual and render time differences 3.1 vs 3.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya 2d/3d Texture Nodes - Visual and render time differences 3.1 vs 3.3

I use V-Ray primarily for product imagery and several of my shaders use Maya's procedural 2d and 3d texture nodes to mimic specific beadblast, brushing, mold-tech, etc. type of materials. Since upgrading to V-Ray 3.3 I noticed an increase in render time along with stark visual differences from V-Ray 3.1.

Attached is an example of a simple VRayMtl using a granite 3d texture node in the bump and reflection color channels. Render global settings were left unchanged.

Intel Xeon 2.5GHz (2)
    128 GB RAM
    Quadro K6000
    Maya 2015 SP6

Original image size - 5k square

Render Time:
    V-Ray 3.1 - 1hr 18min
    V-Ray 3.3 - 1hr 57min

I should also note that render times vary significantly based on the amount of available RAM. On a render farm blade with the same processors but only 64GB RAM the render time increased to 6hr 34min in V-Ray 3.3.

The visual differences occur on several other materials as well that use Maya's texture nodes. Any insight as to what changed between the two versions that could be causing this? Hopefully it is a simple setting as I'd prefer not to have to update my entire shader library for 3.3.
    Attached Files

That's concerning, no doubt. I'll make sure to run some tests too and let you know what we find.
    In the meantime - could you let us know if the scene you're testing has been saved with older vray version or could you share the scene here, it would be best.
    Also some info on the OS used will be helpful.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Thanks for looking into this!

Attached is the simple test scene. Original file was created in V-Ray 3.3. The material in question was created in V-Ray 3.1.

Attached Files

Comment

I can confirm that it changed for the worse. I've logged this to our but-tracker so the developers can have a look and possibly find a fix.
        I'll update the thread once there's some news on this. Sorry for the inconvenience.
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Thanks Alex for taking the time to look into this. I'll revert back to 3.1 for now.

Comment

Working...
          X