Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environment Fog + Textures

Hey,

I have a simple scene here, just some environment fog confined to a small box and a directional light. I am trying to use a texture for density (similar to the documentation), but I cannot get the texture to affect the density. I have tried both 2d and 3d textures, but none will affect the fog. I have a picture below with a checker texture going into the density. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	fog.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	886792

LOL

I came here for the first time this year and was just about to post the EXACT same question. I can't get any results to look like the help file.

Either were doing something wrong or it's a bug.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Comment

ok, good to know it's not just me : )

Comment

this is my setup for the enivorement fog!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-02-01 07-54-44.jpg
Size:	543.8 KB
ID:	866345

I use a 3D-Noise Texture, then plug in into an remap hsv so I can crush the Noise in its values a little bit and then plug into an luminance node(I dont like to use the alpha output in general). This goes then into the density.

!! ALSO make sure to click Fit to Group BBox in your place3dTexture node, so it scales to the right size of your object. After that you can scale in different axis or uniform to get a different scale in your noise! !!

Kind Regards
        Pirmin

Comment

I'll give this a shot, thanks.

Comment

Figured it out!!! The best way is to use a projection rather than texture!! Here, I take a checker projection, send the out color to a luminance node, then into the density. Click image for larger version

Name:	fog.PNG
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	866427

Comment

Ah, yes, for 2D texture you would need that, but it should work without projection with 3D textures (they are sort-of-self-projected).
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
              www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
              X