Vray Toon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Toon

Any idea how to use the vray toon distortion texture? I tried a 3D volume noise and a 2D noise, but I see nothing happening?

Can you show us what kind of effect exactly you're trying to achieve?
    Yordan Miladinov V-Ray for Maya developer

Comment

Ah, that one is a bit tricky to set, but bear with me.
      You need screen mapped textures or 3d textures, although normal 2d textures can work as well, here's a sample setup for each case:

1. 3d textures
      * With volume noise, it would work if you scale the 3dPlacement node (way) below one - to something like 0.05 (depending on the scene scale actually).
      *Then you need to have "alpha is luminance" enabled for the noise texture in its "color balance" settings.
      * You then need a really high output value. To do this you can again go into "color balance" and increase the "alpha gain" to some ridiculous number like 500. Why alpha gain - we do black-white-based distortion and you need an alpha output from the texture (hence "enable alpha is luminance).

2. 2d textures
      * alpha is luminance must be enabled
      * output value must be even more ridiculously high (alpha gain = 1500 for example)
      * you might get some unpredictable results

3. Screen textures (using any 2d procedural texture or a regular bitmap)
      * would work best - imagine them as projected onto your rendered image (from the camera)
      * you'll need a placeEnvTex node (that's a special vray node that usually we use for enviroment mapping) that replaces the regular 2dPlacement node. Create a placeEnvTex and connect placeEnvTex.outUV to noise.uvCoord.
      * in placeEnvTex set mapping type to screen
      * alpha is luminance must be enabled
      * output values can be a bit lower than the above cases.

I'm attaching an example for each one of those cases so you can look at the setup. And I'm making a note to have a tutorial written on this in our documentation website.
      toon_distortion.zip
      Last edited by yolov; 16-02-2017, 01:06 AM.
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
      www.chaos.com

Comment

Thank you! Good to know, will try it out soon!

Comment

Working...
        X