Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triplanar Normal Maps

Hi,
    I wanted to use a Triplanar Material due to the lack of uvs.
    If I set up my material to work on one side, the other side gets flipped normals.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	triplanar_normals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	887191
    In the upper part of the image all normals seem to be fine. But on the lower part, which is just rendered from the opposite side of the sphere the normals seem to be reversed.
    Is there a way to get rid of this... some way of a "six-planar" method or "decide by poly normal"?
    I tried every combination of flipping channels and rotating the maps, but I always end up with the same result.
    My Shader looks like this:
    texture -> normalFlipTexture -> triplanar -> normalBump-slot of VrayMtl
    (also tried switching normalFlip and triplanar -> same problem)
    Thanks.

Can you post the scene? Also, which V-Ray version?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

there is an option in render globals under overrides / textures / uninverted normal map. Check it and see if it helps.
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Hi,
        I tried the "uninverted normals" checkbox and it did solve some errors that I had with top/bottom, but the front/back thing did not change - however I only had a few minutes of testing so far - I will continue to try different settings with this option.
        I am currently working with Maya 2016.5 and Vray 3.4006 but also checked 3.4004 (same result)
        The part which is throwing me off the most is that with different UVs the triplanar does very different things (especially on deleted or very bad uvs) - shouldn't be triplanar not need uvs?
        Here is a sample scene: normalTriplanar.zip

Comment

The uninverted normal bump relies on UVs, if it fixes something for you, it is not by design It is designed to be used for when you have mirrored overlapping uvs (mainly for baking textures for game engines).
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrael View Post
            Hi,
            I tried the "uninverted normals" checkbox and it did solve some errors that I had with top/bottom, but the front/back thing did not change - however I only had a few minutes of testing so far - I will continue to try different settings with this option.
            I am currently working with Maya 2016.5 and Vray 3.4006 but also checked 3.4004 (same result)
            The part which is throwing me off the most is that with different UVs the triplanar does very different things (especially on deleted or very bad uvs) - shouldn't be triplanar not need uvs?
            Here is a sample scene: [ATTACH=CONFIG]36802[/ATTACH]
            Thanks for providing the files for this render error.
            We found two issues in this setup, one with wrong normals generated on some faces when triplanar node is used in conjunctions with normal map and another one with incorrect normal results for objects without UVs. Unfortunately we are not able to suggest a workaround for this setup right now where Triplanar node is involved, so please wait until our developers come up with solution.
            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
            X