Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• render mask "Isolate Select" not working with IPR

Hi,

Trying to use IPR with Isolate Select Render mask.

1) I set Render mask to "Isolate Select"
    2) isolate selected objects in viewport
    3) start IPR.

Move camera and in VFB I see where the object "was" and "is. I have the "Clear Frame buffers" checked in the Common tab of Render settings but still it's like I am creating a motion trail of the Isolated objects inside VFB while dragging the render camera around.

ENV: Win 10, Maya 2017 update 3, Vray build 4b970042 (official build of 3.52.01)
    Last edited by jasonhuang1115; 29-03-2017, 05:01 PM.
    always curious...

Clearing the buffer is disabled by default for the Render mask's "Isolate Select" mode. You could use the "Object Set" mode, where the buffer is cleared every time.
    We'll make a note to respect the "Clear Frame buffers" checkbox in IPR as well.
    V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Originally posted by Mihail.Djurev View Post
      Clearing the buffer is disabled by default for the Render mask's "Isolate Select" mode. You could use the "Object Set" mode, where the buffer is cleared every time.
      We'll make a note to respect the "Clear Frame buffers" checkbox in IPR as well.
      Mihail, I am not quite following how to use this Render mask "Isolate Select" with IPR. Either the "Clear Frame buffers" is enabled or disabled, when I isolate the selected object in viewport and start IPR, the IPR will render the isolated object just fine. But as soon as I move the camera, I see IPR shows the object in "two positions".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IPR_isolate_select_issue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	867273
      always curious...

Comment

In IPR, the "clear frame buffer option" is not taken into consideration at the moment, but as Mihail pointed out, we'll try and do that soon.
        This mode of the render mask does not clear the buffer in IPR, that's why you're seeing this "overlay" effect. The rest of the render mask modes (like object ID and object set) also work in IPR and there the buffer is automatically cleared (again with no respect to "clear frame buffer" - the "clear frame buffer has no effect in IPR at all for the moment).
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

ah....I see. Thanks for the explanations Yolov. All make sense to me now. Hope IPR respects "viewport isolation" in upcoming builds.
          always curious...

Comment

IPR does respect viewport isolation. It doesn't respect the "clear frame buffer option". If you move the camera, you'll get an overlay, but if you only change materials - only the isolated objects will be updated. The "clear frame buffer" will come soon.
            Alex Yolov
            Product Manager
            www.chaos.com

Comment

Hey Yolov,

Thanks for the explanations. It took me couple more tests to understand useful cases for this Isolate select Render mask option with IPR. It makes sense to me now.

Another related issue or request is that:

when Render mask is disabled, start IPR; isolate object in viewport via viewport button; IPR updates the whole scene (no overlay effect). Is it by design? If yes, what's the logic behind to have IPR not respect the viewport Isolate select button in this scenario (Render mask disabled)?
              always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
                when Render mask is disabled, start IPR; isolate object in viewport via viewport button; IPR updates the whole scene (no overlay effect). Is it by design? If yes, what's the logic behind to have IPR not respect the viewport Isolate select button in this scenario (Render mask disabled)?
                Yes it is by design. The "Isolate Select" mode in V-Ray is only a Render Mask mode therefore it will only work when the render mask mode is not disabled. It uses the Isolate selection from the viewport to create a set of objects and render them with mask, nothing more. Soon there will be a tutorial in our Youtube channel and in the documentation page on the subject.
                Ivan Shaykov
                chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by shaio View Post
                  Yes it is by design. The "Isolate Select" mode in V-Ray is only a Render Mask mode therefore it will only work when the render mask mode is not disabled. It uses the Isolate selection from the viewport to create a set of objects and render them with mask, nothing more. Soon there will be a tutorial in our Youtube channel and in the documentation page on the subject.
                  Hi Mihail and Yolov,

I just watched the youtube introduction of this Isolate Select feature. It's definitely useful in several situations. However, I was wondering if I want to look-dev a material with this feature, I will highly likely tumble the camera around during IPR to evaluate the tweaked material of isolated objects. But this overlay effect totally defeats the purpose in this scenario. Am I using this feature wrong of it's meant to be used when camera is locked down for a still image?
                  always curious...

Comment

Does this work with the latest V-Ray public release? Both IPR and production render just ends up rendering the whole image when "isolate selected" is turned on and in the viewport only a handful of objects are visible

Edit: I can't get this feature to consistently work after copying the YouTube video
                    Last edited by snivlem; 26-04-2017, 06:42 PM.
                    Maya 2020/2022
                    Win 10x64
                    Vray 5

Comment

I'm convinced this doesn't seem to be working on the official build. No matter what I do, the whole IPR refreshes and never just the isolated objects I have in the viewport.

Edit: ^ That sounds like a really negative tone, sorry - I don't mean it.
                      Last edited by snivlem; 26-04-2017, 06:59 PM.
                      Maya 2020/2022
                      Win 10x64
                      Vray 5

Comment

are you actually using the isolate selected maya command? (so you only see that object in maya's viewport, but the VFB retains all the other objects)
                        e: info@adriandenne.com
                        w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Could you upload a screen capture so we can get a better idea of what's going on?
                          It should generally work with IPR and production when the render mask is used in "isolate select" mode. I assume you've already seen the video
                          Alex Yolov
                          Product Manager
                          www.chaos.com

Comment

Hi Yolov, are you able to comment my previous post regarding using this feature for look-dev session where one needs to change camera angles during IPR?

Thanks!
                            always curious...

Comment

Originally posted by jasonhuang1115 View Post
                              Hi Yolov, are you able to comment my previous post regarding using this feature for look-dev session where one needs to change camera angles during IPR?

Thanks!
                              Yes, sorry about that. The problem here is that the camera changes don't trigger a refresh of the whole VFB when used in IPR + isolate select render mask.
                              You can use this MEL line to force the VFB to clear and it should work for this case. We'll try to put a checkbox in the interface for the next patch:
                              Code:
                              setAttr vraySettings.renderMaskClear 1;
                              Here's the description of the possible attribute values: 0 (Force off) | 1 (Force on) | 2 (On - the default, clears the render mask in all modes except for "isolate select")

I hope this helps in your case.
                              Alex Yolov
                              Product Manager
                              www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                              X