Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resumable Render not saving any render time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resumable Render not saving any render time.

Hi,

I've run into a problem with resumable rendering not actually starting from where it left off.

In this example, I'm using the progressive render, resumable rendering is on with a 15 minute save interval.

The render runs for an hour but gets killed by the time limit set by the render manager, just before this happens I can see there are about 20 minutes left to reach the target noise level.

The render gets picked up and I can see in the logs that vrprog file has been successfully loaded. I would expect this to then carry off from the last autosave, and complete within 30-40 minutes at most.

But I'm finding that the resumed job hits the rendering limit again, not completing, again I can see from the logs that it was close to finishing but never does.

I've let the job loop a few times on the farm, from what I can tell the render appears not to be gaining any benefit from the vrprog file. As I would have thought it would start that bit closer to the noise limit each time and eventually finish.

Is there any reason to explain this behavior?

Thanks,
    David.
    www.lunaranimation.com

Hello,

Unfortunately, resuming progressive renders doesn't work in 3.52.01, we managed to break it with a last-minute change that we did and it slipped through. It's already fixed in the nightly builds and in the upcoming patch that will be released very soon.
    Sorry about the inconvenience.
    Radoslav Platikanov | V-Ray R&D

Comment

Originally posted by radoslav.platikanov View Post
      Hello,

Unfortunately, resuming progressive renders doesn't work in 3.52.01, we managed to break it with a last-minute change that we did and it slipped through. It's already fixed in the nightly builds and in the upcoming patch that will be released very soon.
      Sorry about the inconvenience.
      Thanks for the info.

Was it fixed in 3.52.02? I dont see it in the notes.

Also will vrprog files created with 3.52.01 worked with the patched version or is the bug in the vrprog file? I have a lot of large 4K frames that I would like to be able to resume and complete to final quaility.
      www.lunaranimation.com

Comment

It's fixed in 3.52.02, which is not yet released.
        The files are valid and can be used with the fixed version, but they will contain only the rendered results after the last resuming. Results from previous runs are lost due to the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by radoslav.platikanov View Post
          It's fixed in 3.52.02, which is not yet released.
          The files are valid and can be used with the fixed version, but they will contain only the rendered results after the last resuming. Results from previous runs are lost due to the bug.
          Ok I will update to the latest nightly.

Is saving multiple scenes that have decreasing noise thresholds the correct workflow.

E.g. -
          Scene_A_Pass1 - Noise threshold = 0.25
          Scene_A_Pass2 - Noise threshold = 0.025
          Scene_A_Pass3 - Noise threshold = 0.0025

I would then submit all three to the render manager?

I just wanted to check that the vrprog is not linked to a file hash or something that is checking for scene changes?

Cheers.
          www.lunaranimation.com

Comment

Yes, decreasing the noise threshold is correct. Changing the min/max subdivs is also fine. Another option is to set the desired final threshold and subdivs, and set a time limit. In this case, each time the rendering is resumed, it will render for the specified time, or less if it reaches the desired quality before the time limit.
            We don't check the scene for changes, except for a few critical settings like the resolution, so multiple scene files should work fine.

Comment

Working...
            X