Maya 2017 SP3 Stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya 2017 SP3 Stability

Hi, I'm posting a question to see what Nvidia drivers Vray users are using with the, at this point in time for GPU rendering with latest version of Maya 2017 (SP3). I'm experiencing glitches and crashes. I just stay away from Viewport 2.0 now as it doesn't play nicely with a GTX 1080 TI it would seem. Getting some ntd.dll error and crashes maya completely, especially if you try and scrub the timeline, boom. I've tried resetting preferences and complete re-install still the same. I installed the recommended nvidia drivers from Autodesk 372.70 I believe, but this is old and the I just get a black screen, so its not even compatible with this card.

This problem seems to stabilize with using Direct X as opposed to OPENGL with VP2.0. However with OpenGL I can't see any vray textures or lights in the scene, which is supposed to be supported? I can see that it is mentioned that Vray won't support this, only DirectX doesn't.

So a few little niggles which are not show stoppers as I can use Legacy Viewport etc and the amazing RT features, but just to see if anyone has found a good stable setup for Vray and Maya 2017. Just to summarise...

- Nvidia Drivers good and stable
    - Viewport 2.0 setup to be able to see Vray textures and lights preview?

Windows 10
    i7 6900K 3.2Ghz
    3 x GTX 1080 TI
    Lots of fans and lots of power.

Thanks

If I remember correctly, drivers 380 and newer had problems for GPU rendering with VRay, so it would be best to stay away from those until nvidia fixes anything they need to.
    Maya 2017 had some issues which prevented our support for vray lights illuminating the viewport and this will come with Maya 2018.
    Textures, on the other hand, should work in general - you just need to be in "textured display" (6 on the keyboard + if "use default material" should be disabled since it overrides any other display - not just for vray). Alongside textures, we do have support for reflections, opacity and even anisotropy for the vray material, as well as support for some of the components of the rest of our shaders.
    DirectX support is on its way, too. So until we get there, the openGL modes will be the only ones that we support for drawing anything related to our nodes in Maya + the shader/texture support is for OpenGL in viewport 2.0 with the Strict profiles (the legacy openGL profile is not supported) so you should make sure that you're running one of the strict profiles in maya's display settings.
    Last edited by yolov; 25-05-2017, 10:45 AM.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by yolov View Post
      If I remember correctly, drivers 380 and newer had problems for GPU rendering with VRay, so it would be best to stay away from those until nvidia fixes anything they need to.
      Maya 2017 had some issues which prevented our support for vray lights illuminating the viewport and this will come with Maya 2018.
      Textures, on the other hand, should work in general - you just need to be in "textured display" (6 on the keyboard + if "use default material" should be disabled since it overrides any other display - not just for vray). Alongside textures, we do have support for reflections, opacity and even anisotropy for the vray material, as well as support for some of the components of the rest of our shaders.
      DirectX support is on its way, too. So until we get there, the openGL modes will be the only ones that we support for drawing anything related to our nodes in Maya + the shader/texture support is for OpenGL in viewport 2.0 with the Strict profiles (the legacy openGL profile is not supported) so you should make sure that you're running one of the strict profiles in maya's display settings.
      Thank you. After setting to Open GL Strict Core profile and downgrading Nvidia drivers to 378.92 I can confirm that things appear a lot more stable. I can also now see textures in VP 2.0. This is the perfect fix needed, thank you again, as always amazing support.

Comment

Working...
      X