Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck buckets ......... again!

Hi,

I'm afraid I've hit the dreaded stuck buckets issue again!

I know the best solution is to send Chaos Group a file and see if you can reproduce it, but the problem I've found is that the issue mostly occurs when batch rendering across my render farm. I see nodes settling to 12% or 25% CPU usage (depending on the number of cores the machine has) and that's where they stay for hours if I leave them. When I switch the KVM to the stuck machine and look at the batch display, Vray is at 90%.

The thing is, if I cancel the render and send that frame again, it will normally render the second time around, so whilst it happens a lot with the scenes I render, it's not an easily reproduced error.

The work I do consists mostly of rendering huge CAD models of cars, and there is a lot of 'crap' in these models.....open edges, 0 polygon meshes etc. etc. but there is just too much to clean up, so at a certain point I have to get on with rendering, but I'm finding this 'stuck buckets' issue with nearly every job now. It normally get's worse when I render with motion-blur.

So, whilst I'd be happy to send you a file where the issue occurs, I won't be able to point you to a specific frame where it happens every time.

I suppose what I would like to ask you is, with this being an issue that comes up quite often in the forum, are there any common settings I can tweak that may help me eradicate some of the 'stuck buckets' ?

Regards,

Jason Fox
    Azure C.G.I. Ltd.

are you using light cache for secondary at all? if yes, try bruteforce for both gi bounces and see if it helps.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Do you use DR for this? Also, in such cases, more useful than a scene file is a minidump file from a machine while it it stuck in this way. Minidumps can be generated with Process Explorer.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

I use BNR (Butterfly Net Render) for my render farm, it's basically just a 'Maya Batch' based controller.

What is 'process explorer' ? I'll gladly use it if it would help to narrow down this issue.

Comment

OK, I've found 'Process Explorer' and will run it next time I get some stuck nodes!

I'm setting off another render today, so I'm sure I'll have some data for you soon

Comment

Working...
          X