Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cryptomatte - ID type option: nodename with hierarchy broken ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cryptomatte - ID type option: nodename with hierarchy broken ?!

Hi ,
    I am trying out the latest nightly from 11.8.

Somehow I am not able to make the Cryptomatte nodename with hierarchy to work.
    None of my groupings works:
    I tried
    - traditional grouping
    - namespace grouping
    - layer grouping

None of them has an effect on grouping the IDs together. That said, the other ID Type group by 'nodename' and 'material' works though.
    Its just the hierarchy which is giving me a prob.

I must be doing something wrong.

cheers,
    PK
    Last edited by Pete3d; 13-08-2017, 08:03 AM.

How do you expect them to be grouped?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

If I understand it right the developers from cryptomatte expect them to be grouped by namespace at least. So if we follow their conventions it would apply to my previous posted screenshot like this:

All of bunny1 namespace would be a group, all of bunny2 namespace would be a group as well

bunny1:model
      bunny1ne
      bunny1:two

bunny2:model
      bunny2ne
      bunny2:two

I attached their siggraph paper extract.

thanks so much.
      And thanks heaps for implementing it. Its really great in production!!!!!!!!

Peter

Comment

Here for further clarification

Comment

and while we are at the topic what do you think if we had an additional ID Type: Layer in the cryptomatte.
          Basically whatever shapes are in layers it will create a grouping of them.
          Check my screenshot example.

cheers,
          PK

Comment

We will have an additional "Namespace" mode to handle namepaces. It is different from the full hierarchy mode. We have the layer mode in 3ds Max, will see how easy it is to port it for Maya.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Hi Guys, I hope its ok to add additional question on the topic of cryptomatte without making a seperate thread. Its somewhat releated to the initial point of "nodename with hierachy broken"

Ive been experimenting with it a bit these days, and it seems that vray-proxy(loading alembic files) are regarded as a single node, and as a single material within the crypomatte elements.

Is it possible to get it to expand things down into the contents of the proxy node, getting names based on the alembic hierachy, and perhaps also the full set of materials linked though VRayMeshMaterial.
              And similar behavior for "vray-scene" nodes.

Pretty much all of the contents within our scenes are based on the vrayproxy (which I btw still hope can get some love/replacement in the future so we can handle displacements and the like as we do with materials).

Thanks,
              Jimmi

Comment

Is it possible to get it to expand things down into the contents of the proxy node, getting names based on the alembic hierachy, and perhaps also the full set of materials linked though VRayMeshMaterial.
                It's not impossible, certainly... will see how easy it will be. The object names are not too difficult maybe, but materials are more complicated right now.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  We will have an additional "Namespace" mode to handle namepaces. It is different from the full hierarchy mode. We have the layer mode in 3ds Max, will see how easy it is to port it for Maya.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  That's great.

So Am I correct to assume that the full hierarchy mode right now basically lists every shape as individual. That's how it supposed to work and I assumed wrongly initially and thought it was supposed to follow name space.

Cheers.
                  Thanks for the implementations

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    It's not impossible, certainly... will see how easy it will be. The object names are not too difficult maybe, but materials are more complicated right now.
                    Do you know if its a "fix"/"extension" that you guys will be working on anytime soon?

Comment

Working...
                    X