Dome light finite scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome light finite scaling

Using an HDR-mapped Vray dome light with Ground On, I have to adjust the Ground Radius to match the HDR or else there is terrible stretching on edges of the ground plane. When I do this, my model looks tiny compared to the ground texture so I scale my model up, but then my shader fog multipliers and displacement map values also need to be adjusted to compensate and DOF no longer works because my model is now the size of an aircraft carrier.

What I need to be able to do is to scale the Dome down from "infinite" to something that better matches my model. Is there some way to do this?

It is not good idea to change the scale of your objects and it would be best to work with real life units and proportions for your meshes. Depending on the different environment maps that you are using try to adjust the Ground Radius and the Position(Z coordinates) to match your scene to the environment the best you can.
    Nikolay Kusht | chaos.com
    Team Lead, 3D Support | contact us

Comment

I am trying to keep things to scale. The problem is that when I scale my ground, I get warping and stretching on the fringes of the floor. The objects in my background don't exist at an "infinite" distance, so I think if I can just scale my dome down, I can fix this...but there seems to be no way to scale the dome in Vray, is there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DomeScale.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	980478

Comment

Did you find a solution to the scaling issue?

Cheers

Comment

No, you can't scale the dome light. Even if you did, it would have no effect on the rendering.
          Just a note - I've seen other users doing spherical projections of their HDRI onto actual geometry to better control this aspect of the background image.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
          X