Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic ray tracing examples?

Hi,
    Does anyone have a really basic example of ray tracing along arbitrary paths in a vray plugin texture? I looked at the dirt shader example but that seems to rely on a Max include (#include "../../../3dsmax_plugins/common/vraydirt_impl.h") to work and I don't have Max.

I am just looking for example code which does something like this (in psudocode):

someData hitValues;
    vector rayOrig;
    vector rayDir;
    bool hit = trace (rayOrig, rayDir, hitValues);

if (hit)
    {
    vector hit = hitValues.Normal;
    float rayDistance = hitValues.rayDist;
    }

Could you point me to anything like that?
    Thanks,

Philip

I'm attaching the vraydirt_impl.h file here; it does not really contain any 3ds Max specific code. It's somewhat more complicated that what you need, but I hope the main points are clear:

1) You need to create a new ray context out of the existing one using VRayContext::newSpawnContext();
    2) You need to fill in the ray direction etc in the rayparams member of the ray context;
    3) Declare an IntersectionData structure to hold the result of the nearest hit;
    4) Call VRayContext::vray->findIntersection() to get the nearest hit;
    5) Do whatever you need with the intersection;
    6) Potentially call findIntersection() again to find the rest of the hits along the ray;
    7) Release the ray context using VRayContext::releaseContext().

If you need to trace multiple rays for the same shading point, it will be faster to reuse the same ray context, rather than creating a new one from scratch for each ray.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Attached Files
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks again for a quick reply. That's really helpful.
      One more question - how do I test code changes for material/texture plugins in maya? I seem to have to restart Maya everytime I make a code change otherwise Maya crashes. Is there a way to refresh the plugin to test code changes as I am working on a plugin?
      Thanks

Comment

If you won't need to change any parameters on your shader/texture you can export a vrscene file and then you can use the V-Ray Standalone, which is quite a lot faster in regards to startup and debugging.

There is some documentation how to export a vrscene file: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya...translator.htm
        V-Ray developer

Comment

You could also try unloading and reloading the V-Ray for Maya plugin itself - it should cause all the V-Ray plugins to be reloaded on the next render.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Great, I'll try that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X