Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StaticSphereTreePrimitive example

hi!

i'm trying to implement my own "GeomParticleSystem" plugin using a StaticSphereTreePrimitive instance (i guess that's the correct way to achieve this), for now i can't get it to work... do you have any example that i could experiment with ?

thanks!
    Chervin SHAFAGHI
    CG Supervisor at CGEV, Paris.

Actually this is a somewhat old approach to do things and will be quite slow - we need to update that plugin. Do you only need to render spherical/point particles?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

yes only points and spheres (at least for now), my goal is to be able to add custom attributes (any amount/type, coming from an external file) to those spheres/points, beyond positions, velocities, userpp... etc... and being able to fetch these attributes at render time
      Chervin SHAFAGHI

Comment

Would it make sense to use Alembic for this? It will render much faster than GeomParticleSystem and you will be able to access any particle attributes using VRayUserColor and VRayUserScalar textures.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

actually i was to avoid alembic for a lighter and simpler format (at least for a bunch of points)
          Chervin SHAFAGHI

Comment

Originally posted by CGEV View Post
            actually i was to avoid alembic for a lighter and simpler format (at least for a bunch of points)
            Well, there's always .vrmesh files... you can use ply2vrmesh to convert Alembic particles into .vrmesh files.

In any case, we can get you an example of how to pass the particles directly to V-Ray, but it will be a bit of work. Are particles the only thing that you will render?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

hello again!

if you could provide me with that example that would great! yes i'd like to pass particles only at the moment, but if it's a success we may extend to other types of primitives, if possible...

thanks!
              Chervin SHAFAGHI

Comment

Working...
              X