PLY2VRMesh - vertex colors from .obj files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLY2VRMesh - vertex colors from .obj files

I know it's a log stretch, but this is a wish indeed. VRayVertex colors are a godsend, and so are VRatProxies (god I love them..)

Is there any chance we can have PLY2VRMesh translate embedded vertex colors in OBJ files to VRMeshes in the conversion?

The reason I ask is ZBrush, and the PITA of UVMapping vs polypaint. Vray is already capable of rendering Vertex colors fabulously, so it's frustratingly close to hand. The problem is that OBJ vertex colors can't be read by Maya in that it's not a native aspect of the OBJ file, yet ZBrush does bake them in. C4D can read them fine apparently.

Exporting an 8 million poly OBJ and command line converting it to a vrmesh is a workflow dream. I love it. Just missing the ability to render colors. At that density the vertex colors are absolutely sufficient to replace diffuse uvmaps in almost all of my cases.

supports ZBrush OBJ vertex color from Ply2Vrmesh included in V-Ray Next for Maya.

Articles I wrote (Google Translate)

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
    oakcorp.net
    v-ray.jp

Comment

Looking at our logs, this should have been done around a year ago. Can you try ply2vrmesh from any V-Ray Next build and see if it works?
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
      www.chaos.com

Comment

I've been running NEXT since Beta last year, through to and including release version 1 Hotfix... so I assumed this was the case as well.
        Having said that I checked the version installed and it was from November 19 2018

I just downloaded the zip archive version and manually copied the PLY2VRMesh.exe into place.
        Now reporting Feb1 2019 and YES! You guys are fabulous. It works a treat!

Thank you ! all the love as always.

Comment

I think this specific change only got to the builds around the time of the initial Next release, that might explain things.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
          X