Option to turn Anti-Aliasing for Render Elements ON by default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Option to turn Anti-Aliasing for Render Elements ON by default

There are several renderelements, for which it is always recommended to turn AA on. But it's always off by default and it takes time to scroll through the settings of each of them and some (young) people even don't know this option.

It would be great, if "AA on by default for renderelementss", could be a choosable preference.
    If there is any Renderelement, where AA is not recommended, maybe another sub-option for this

I'll look into this, thanks for the input.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

I agree that this should be on be default. If you're working with RE's at all the chances are extremely high that you are at least outputting back to beauty passes which of course need AA turned on. Any tech passes that usually don't require AA, such as depth or motion vectors, are likely secondary.

Comment

When you say AA do you mean the "Filtering" or "Consider for Anti-Aliasing" option?
        Also, the beauty RE's don't have the option to turn either of those things off in the first place, and for utility passes both options are already on by default on my end... I feel like I'm missing something ?
        __
        https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

Actually, that's a good point as I'm not sure what the difference is between "Filtering" and "Consider for Anti Aliasing". But utilities like depth and motion vectors generally don't want any filtering or antialiasing turned on.

Comment

Yes, I think for depth and velocity you need it only to composite with transparencies.

I am sure, that "consider AA" and "filtering" is the same.

If they would remember as default just the last used toggled state, then everybody could adjust his own settings easily.

Comment

"Consider for AA" forces VRay to consider that element when determining whether the noise threshold has been met, where normally it only looks at the RGB. "Filtering" is probably the one we're talking about here, that enables/disables the anti-aliasing filtering, making edges smooth/pixelated.

Remembering the last default wouldn't be a good option in my opinion. I would rather the option be consistent and predictable either way. That being said, like SonyBoy mentioned, it makes sense for some utilities to just have filtering off by default.
              __
              https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

Working...
              X