Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB render elements pulldown, and mesh lights

Couple of unpleasant workflow things that have come up in my current job:

* The pulldown menu for render elements in the VFB is not resizable and this can prevent the full names of passes being readable. This can be a real problem with a lot of passes and passes that begin with similar names, such as light selects. I think this widget needs to be revisited -- it's inadequate now with ever increasing numbers of render passes in a multichannel EXR. Also, I'd really like to see the name of the currently viewed pass displayed clearly somewhere else in the VFB, or an option to overlay it right on the image. For light selects in particular this would be really useful.

* Mesh lights are really confusing. Not sure why they work the way they do, but the fact that selecting the mesh that was used to create the light does not immediately give you access to both the light's properties AND its light linking creates all sorts of problems in my current job, where we use mesh lights and light linking extensively, often with many mesh lights in a single scene file. Trying later to unravel which light linker associates with which light which associates with which mesh can be a major time consuming headache. Having to export mesh lights and relink them is even worse. And they don't graph intuitively in the hyper graph. I'd suggest that some sort of bundling of a mesh light and its associated nodes upon creation would be really helpful.

Point taken, thanks for the input. I'll make a note to run some internal discussions and see how we can improve this in the future.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
    X