No announcement yet.

Suggestion for faster Bucket rendering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for faster Bucket rendering.

Hi Chaos Group,

these days I was rendering a lot and had some time to think. I really love the feature that V-Ray is dynamicly scaling the render buckets at the end of the rendering. But the last few days I wished that it would do this in the specific areas that are most render intensive.

I had two basic ideas to do this.

- Setting rendering hotspots by hand.
    you place some dots or drag an ellipse in the Framebuffer and the framebuffer scales down the bucket around those spots in a certain radius. Assuming the artist knows where the most render intensiv areas are from previous renderings.

- Generating a Rendertime Heatmap
    Idea 1: Rendering a really small version of the image to determine the rendertime at specific parts of the image. (Reduction of primary rays could be problematic because of noise theshold)
    Idea 2: Rendering some kind of prepass that could be generated quickly to determin rendertime of certain objects
    Idea 3: Analyse which material is the most render intensive and scale the buckets by the underlying material
    Idea 4: Use the rentertime information of the buckets of an image from the framebuffer history as base for the scaling of the bucket size in the next rendering.

Hope it helps. ^^

I second this and actually put forward similar idea about render time heatmap, but I don't think its that easy. My idea was to use LC to determine areas where to split the buckets but I guess the final sampling is a lot more complex and might not be possible to guess it with prepass.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Yea, that's true. But even if it would be possible to select the bucket subdiv area by hand, it would help, I guess. I mean, it's already possible to steer the buckets with the mouse cursor, so it should be doable. Would love to hear from Chaos Group staff if the idea makes sense in general.

Comment

Great idea, and presumably might also have the side effect of solving that annoying "last bucket" problem that Vray has always had whereby a single bucket will hang on a refraction or something long after the rest of the image has finished, usually with a full-sized tile.

Comment

Working...
        X