Vray Skin Shader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Skin Shader

We have a huge library of medical assets that are all set up using the Vray Skin Shader and now that it has been deprecated, it's extremely time-consuming to switch everything over to Alsurface Shader or the Fast SSS shaders. Plus we are not getting the same sss quality we were getting with the skin shader. Is there any way to continue to use and modify the skin shaders in Vray Next? Or is it possible to bring it back?

Here is our comparisons. The global settings are all the same according to the values Jeremiah found for us.

Fast SSS is the one I am hanging my hat on so far.

Al shader relies too heavily on Diffuse color and is not giving the right kind of SSS look our stuff has had recently with the vrSkin shader. There is no option to decrease the diffuse contributions just a mix value to add SSS on top. It looks like my skin(with oil on it), but it does not look like muscle tissue, cellular shaded objects, brain tissue, vessel tissue...ect. At least that is what I am finding by messing with all the options and seeing how it reacts with our render elements.

You can still render the VRaySkinMtl in V-Ray Next. In case, you want to switch to another material like AL surface or FastSSS you should remake all of your materials by hand or write a MaxScript to convert it to AL Shader. We can assist you with some shader cases like this one in the example if you send us the scene over (with the original skin shader). Generally, if you want to see a more subsurface-scatter effect you need to set Sss Mix to 1 or close to 1.
    Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
    X