Progressive Sampler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Sampler

I would like to limit the Progressive sampling rendering by passes rather than time. Usually, I'm using progressive for test rendering, and I see, for example, that with 500 passes the render is mostly clean. I'd like to stop rendering when we reach 500 passes... it would be much better than sopping by rendertime.
    Maybe it's already possible, but then I overlooked it.

cheers,

Olivier
    www.mirage-cg.com

I'm bumping up this request which doesn't seem to interest anyone Or has this been added to Vray5 ?
    Again, I could finish up a production with the help of progressive (with bucket rendering it would have been a nightmare). The problem with the time limit is that when different nodes are used (sometimes quite different), the nodes are not reaching the same amount of passes and the quality per frame is different. Thus, being able to stop the rendering based on an amount of passes would be more helpful.
    www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

You can already do that - the progressive sampler has "Max subdivs" setting that does roughly that. You can do some test rendering and when you stop it - look at the log. There should be a line like:
      V-Ray: Sampling level reached: 7.42 subdivs (60 passes)

You can then round up the subdivs and use that as your "Max subdivs" setting. That will give you a render that will do a similar amount of passes and it won't be affected by the nodes speed.

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yavor Rubenov
      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Thank You Yavor!
        It works somewhat. I did a test render and stopped at 101 passes and 9m40 (total frame time 10m30). It gave me 10 Subd.
        I used Max 10 subd on the next test and it stopped at 10.30 Subd and 224 passes (total frame time 12m30. Renders are comparable except for the SampleRate element where I have a lot more red

At least I know now how to stop render not using the max time feature.
        www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Working...
        X