Light Mix behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Mix behavior

Not sure if this has been commented on before, but while the Light Mix feature can be very useful for lighting and lookdev experimentation, I find the way it works very strange in that it seems to retain settings that I wouldn't expect it to. It would seem intuitive to expect this to reset completely in the absence of a light mix render element. But this isn't how it seems to work, such that adding a brand new Light Mix render element to a scene can sometimes mean that existing lights immediately get turned off or set to less than 1 when viewing the Light Mix result. Perhaps I'm missing something or this isn't standard workflow, but I would normally expect creating a new Light Mix element to flush any existing tweaks that have been made to overall light blending. I'm not totally sure, but I think this is even true across scenes, and since I'm not great at renaming my lights e.g. my VrayLightRect1 etc. might get turned down or off. This has caught me a few times and is very confusing when working in the VFB until I realize what's going on.

I am not sure that I understand correctly your workflow. Could you share step by step how to reproduce the issue you are facing? Note that you have a "Reset" button in the LightMix layer in the VFB window which should reset all values to their defaults.
    Nikolay Kusht | chaos.com
    Team Lead, 3D Support | contact us

Comment

Create a Light Mix render element and change some of the values on the lights to less than one. Delete the Light Mix element. Work some more. Then create a new Light Mix and the same less than one values will be present on the same lights. This is quite unintuitive.
      Last edited by SonyBoy; 22-11-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

If you would like to reset the Light Mix just hit the "Reset" button, this is the way.
        Nikolay Kusht | chaos.com
        Team Lead, 3D Support | contact us

Comment

Yes, I could also manually reset all individual light values to 1. This is not the point -- the point is that when creating a NEW light mix element when one has previously been created and deleted in the scene, why are light values retained from the old one at all? This is not normally the way anything works in Maya or Vray. If I create a rectLight1, set the intensity value to 0.5, then delete it and create a NEW rectLight1 its intensity will be the default value, not 0.5. So why does the light mix element retain old values like it does?

Comment

Working...
          X