Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, desperately need non-physical light decay

Hi,

I'm pretty sure this has been requested before, but we absolutely need a way to manually control light intensity over distance. If you haven't worked with clients and art directors who demand non-physical results, let me tell you that there is a DIRE need for this.

Example. I've got a practical VrayRect light shining on a wall. It looks good except for the hotspot. Art director wants me to reduce the intensity of the hotspot on the wall, but leave everything else alone. We need to keep the spread and the overall intensity and decay as they are, just reduce the intensity near the light. But I can't change the decay without changing the spread. I have to tell the art director that I cannot do what they want, and they really don't want to hear that. From their perspective, anything is possible because it's a computer rendering.

And I agree with them. Physically based rendering is great until it's not. There is absolutely no reason why the renderer needs to conform 100% to physical reality. There are many, many ways in which we can cheat reality in Vray, and almost any other renderer. We can disable shadows. Impossible in the real world. We can change or disable bounce light. Again, impossible in the real world.

The fact that there's no way to control decay in V-ray is a major issue, a huge limitation, a shocking oversight.

Based on years of interacting on the Autodesk beta, I am convinced that renderer developers are completely out of touch with the practical needs of users. It does seem like there's some religious devotion to the ideal of solving the rendering equation, producing the perfect algorithm that will simulate optical reality. But users are not making scientific simulations, they are making pretty pictures. We employ a million kinds of fakery every single day. I had this argument many, many times with the Arnold devs, and they eventually gave in. Autodesk has implemented a Light Decay filter to meet the needs of their clients. Chaos needs to do the same.

https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/disp...UG/Light+Decay

I can't stress enough how incredibly essential this is.

Thank you.
    Last edited by aaron_ross; 28-07-2022, 04:38 PM.

100% agree. This is very useful for all sort f things. Remember also that users also use 3d for completely made up effect like sci-fi and fantasy stuff that often needs non-physical properties.

Comment

We do this with tranparent discs. And turn the primary visiblity off.
      https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
      Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

This is still available in Vray channel box , No Decay On
        https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Yeah, but it's the CUSTOM decay that is missing.Look at those samples form Arnold above. Versatile for many purposes.

Comment

Apparently new lights are being worked on with a few more controls in this area, no idea of an eta yet though. Agree that the current controls of the vray area lights make it difficult to match real world lights!

Comment

I'll +1 this. I've always thought it odd the options for decay on Vray lights are only on or off. Even Maya's crappy old software renderer offered more out of the box options, and I think if you jumped through a few hoops you could also even control decay with a curve.

Comment

I agree. This feature is a must.

Comment

Working...
                X