Cosine Exponent for VRay Rect Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosine Exponent for VRay Rect Lights

Coming from Mental Ray, it's one of the features I miss when using VRay. The ability to 'focus' the area light's energy and dial it from being a complete light diffuser to more of a beam.

MR's default was set to 2.0 which made the MR Area Light look very similar to the VRay Rect Light. Once you hit 25+, it was more like a spotlight and an incredibly useful feature for controlling your shot lighting.

A feature like this would also really enhance the ability to derive lighting from mapping textures to Rect Lights. Right now it seems to have little to no effect on anything other than overall brightness and the reflection profile of the light.

I'm really enjoying VRay though. Very solid rendering app.

There is a "directionality" parameter for rectangle lights that is coming in one of the next builds; it is already in 3ds Max.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

You're always a step ahead of half the wishlist posts, it's pretty funny. The development speed on VRay compared to MRay is quite impressive.

Out of curiosity, does that play well with image mapped Rect Lights? Do they emit light more as one would expect if you dial up this new directionality param? Say if I were to plug in a gobo or maybe some HDR image into one.

Comment

Any news on this? Did not find it in revision 16080 from Jul 18 2011.
        http://www.andreas-reimer.de
        http://www.renderpal.com
        my HDRI and texture collection

Comment

The "directional" option is not yet added in V-Ray for Maya.
          Unfortunately we can't give you time frame for its implementation.
          Best regards,
          Zdravko Keremidchiev
          Technical Support Representative

Comment

Any news on this one?

thanks
            David

Comment

No, it's not implemented yet.

Comment

Working...
              X