Gamma adjustment of normal and bump normal render elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamma adjustment of normal and bump normal render elements

It would be great to be able to have an option to gamma adjust the normal and bump normal render element saved out.

As it is now we use the "don't affect colors" with gamma 2.2 and applies gamma corrections to all our colors and textures in the shading network (either via the gamma node or via the VRay gamma on textures), this is all saved to 32 bit EXR files on render. When we open the files in Photoshop all layers are ready to use straight away, but the normals and bump normals have incorrect range. This is easy to fix in Photoshop of course, just apply gamma 0.45 to the normals and bump normals, but if we could have the option to do this adjustment at render time it would save some time.

Btw, we have rationalized away the tedious step of applying gamma to all layers in Photoshop by having the "don't affect colors" switch on. It would be wonderful if this would hold for all reder elements so we can treat them the same and use them straight away.

I'm not sure if the current behavior is a bug or not, and I also don't know if there are other render elements that need the option too. The reflection, refraction etc do get the correct gamma as they are just components of the final image. When I'm using the extra tex layer for some special things I always make sure that this tex has a gamma node at the end to make it look right. Coming to think of it, I think that the velocity pass might also be affected as it deals with normals as well.

Edit: The gamma of z-depth seems to be linear with the current settings, that is a object in the middle of a black near and white far is 0.5 in value.

Best Regards,
    Max
    Last edited by max@mfx; 21-10-2011, 01:01 AM.
Working...
X