Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereoscopic optimization ?

Hi,
    We work on a feature film in stereoscopic.
    I have a question : do you have a plan to add some optimization in stereoscopic ?
    For example, Renderman can calculate 2 stereoscopics images at once. And the render time with Renderman is :
    - 1 image : 100% (time)
    - 2 images (stereoscopics ) : 120% (time)

I don't know how, but, for example, calculate one time the diffuse in deep pixel/shade ?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by bigbossfr; 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM.
    www.deex.info

To optimize the rendering process when doing stereoscopic or DOF effects you can use Shade map.
    For more information please visit:
    http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R...oscopic.htm#sm
    Best regards,
    Zdravko Keremidchiev
    Technical Support Representative

Comment

Yes, but Shade map is in Maya ? (nighlty)
      www.deex.info

Comment

just want to ask the same thing, coz in official built VRayStereoRig doesnt exist.......

cheers

Comment

The feature will be available in the new V-Ray for Maya release. Which we expect to come out soon.
          If you need to use the stereo effect and the shade map urgently please drop us an e-mail to: support@chaosgroup.com
          we'll consider your request and reply.
          Best regards,
          Zdravko Keremidchiev

Comment

Thank you Zdravko for the information.
            Our dealine is in end of december. So, it depends on when this new Vray for Maya will be released.
            www.deex.info

Comment

Please send us an e-mail so we could discuss that further.
              Best regards,
              Zdravko Keremidchiev

Comment

Hey there!
                Is the stereoscopic stuff planned for the upcoming SP? It seems that we'll badly need it for an upcoming project

Comment

It has been there for a while now, but you'd have to create it from the Python callback as we don't have a GUI for this. Let me know if you need more info and I'll explain how to turn it on.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Wow, that was fast Yes, thank you, an explanation to this would be helpful.

Comment

Hi Vlado! Anything on this? You can also mail the explanation to m.pech@abyss-fx.com if the forum isn't the right place right now. Thank you!

Comment

Well, I just found some issues that I need to fix; hopefully they will go into the next night build tomorrow, but in general it goes like this. Use the Python post-translate callback to add a VRayStereoscopicSettings plugin to your scene, like this:
                        Code:
                        from vray.utils import *

p=create("VRayStereoscopicSettings", "stereoCam")
                        p.set("eye_distance", 0.5)
                        The stereoscopic settings have a number of options, for generating shade maps and for using them, but I found a few issues there which I'm looking into now. They should be fine for the next nightly/stable build tomorrow.

In any case, to render a shade map, use the following after the above code:
                        Code:
                        p.set("sm_mode", 1)
                        p.set("shademap_file", "somefile.vrst")
                        Then you render the animation to generate the shademap, and then change the "sm_mode" to 2 so that V-Ray uses the rendered maps.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Thank you very much!

EDIT: But right now nothing gets written. The path in the vrscene is valid, but no file in there. There isn't any output in the output window/script editor either, so it's not so easy to debug for me.

Oh, and thanks for adressing those issues you mentioned so fast!

EDIT2: Hmm, I just hit render a few times more and now I got a map. Also in the vrayFB the image aspect ratio changed from time to time. But maybe these are the points you work on anyway, so maybe I just wait for the next update.
                          Last edited by pechart; 06-02-2012, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Another question would be, if it's possible to use your own custom stereo rig in combination with the shademap.

Comment

Originally posted by pechart View Post
                              Another question would be, if it's possible to use your own custom stereo rig in combination with the shademap.
                              The stereo plugin has parameters to specify the left and right cameras, but I'm not quite sure how these would be exported from Maya yet.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X