Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot proofing extremely high subdiv values

Hi,

I'll occasionally crash maya when I am adjusting shaders with swatches on and accidentally hit a key twice, so instead of 64 subdivs I input 644. I wish there was something similar to the dialogue box from selecting a very dense piece of geo in Maya and hitting 3 to enable subdiv smoothing - if the geo is over a certain limit Maya will check to see if this change was intentional. Maybe I'm the only one who does this, but it's a good safety check in preventing crashes and slowdowns. I see there's now a max limit of 1000 but I think a warning is deserved for reflection and especially refraction glossy samples above, say 256. Thanks,

Jens

Hm, 644 subdivs should not cause a crash (although they may cause the swatch render to take a long time to update). Which subdivs are you adjusting when you get this?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In my tests on a simple shader before posting it didn't crash. I have had crashes in the past with some more complex production shaders, particularly with large files mapped into diff/refl/refr/bump, etc (if I remember right fast SSS thumbnails can also be slow). Preventing the delay would be nice, as sometimes it's a matter of a few minutes.

Comment

Yes, I understand... perhaps putting a limit for the swatch renders will work.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Yes, I understand... perhaps putting a limit for the swatch renders will work.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I think it should be an option somewhere for this limit to be set. Hard coding it may not be desirable for those who use high subdivision values (like me).
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

The worst offender is on reflection/refraction interpolation for the shader swatches, especially when moving above a value of 1.
            Maya 2020/2022
            Win 10x64
            Vray 5

Comment

Working...
            X